Miss Mixtape: Toad’s Place: Where Did the Legends Go?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Toad’s Place: A place where dreams come true and miracles happen. Where you can find your Prince Charming and dance the night away…NOT!

Call me a freak, but I cannot stand the fact that Toad’s is the place to be on Saturday nights. You dress to the nines just so you can wait in line for an hour and dance for two.  Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against Toad’s, but I do have a small vendetta against Toad’s being known for “Qpac” girls (the Yalie boys love you, ladies) and the infamous slobcats. Its reputation has been tarnished by the “slutbus” and countless amount of vomiting freshmen. Back in the day, Toad’s was where the legends played, now it has been reduced to entertaining wannabe Snookies and Pauly-Ds.

Many people do not realize that Toad’s opens its doors for more than a college dance party. It is the most famous music venue in all of Connecticut. I have lived in CT my whole life. I am a West Haven native and a graduate of a New Haven high school, so needless to say, I have been to Toad’s for more than just a dance party. I have seen some incredible bands there. From UnderOath (Senior year, I was a bit of a screamo fan) to Buckethead (weird, but SO worth it!) and as of December 5th, City and Colour (a blog will be posted, I promise you).  When I came to QU, I heard people talk about Toad’s. When I’d ask who they saw, they would stare at me as if I had twelve heads. It wasn’t until I witnessed the Saturday night dance party did I realize that this wasn’t the Toad’s Place I was used to.

I have nothing against the dance party, I understand it is the cheapest one in New Haven, but honestly, why not make an otherwise ordinary night incredible by seeing the concerts they have to offer?

Lines ups to Watch Out for:
October 8th– Hanson
October 18th–The AP Tour: Four Year Strong, Title Fight, Gallows, The Swellers, Sharks
October 21st– Badfish: A tribute to Sublime
October 23rd–Kevin Devine
October 27th-Machine Gun Kelly
November 4th-Jadakiss
November 10th–Mike Posner and The Brain Trust
November 21st– The Ready Set
November 27th– GWAR
December 5th–City and Colour (BE THERE! I will!)
December 28th– Thursday

Want more line-ups? Check it out! www.ToadsPlace.com
Does this post Grind your gears? Tweet at me, bro!
@QUMissMixtape

Molly is a senior print journalism major and psychology minor at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys cooking, baking, reading, and spending as much time on the beach as possible. Molly loves to travel, and recently brought home a dog, Kodiak, from Rincon, Puerto Rico in January 2011. She is an aspiring food writer for publications such as Gourmet, and Fine Cooking. In preparation for this career, Molly spent the summer of 2011 working on an organic farm, and hopes to attend the Culinary Institute of America after graduating from QU in the spring. Having been a transfer to Quinnipiac in the fall of her sophomore year, Molly knows the importance of being outgoing and friendly, and hopes to make many wonderful memories during her last year in Hamden.