Michele Herman ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Michele Herman is not only very involved on campus (she’s a member of both Alpha Delta Pi and Q30), but she also has an awesome internship at the Rachael Ray Show! The senior’s unique internship is what makes her this week’s Campus Celebrity. Read on to find out more about Michele’s internship, and get some advice from her on how to land your own killer nternship.

SAMI MOORE, HER CAMPUS STAFF WRITER: How did you go about interning at Rachael Ray? Was there anyone you specifically talked to? 

MICHELE HERMAN: When searching for internships in the summer of 2013 I looked everywhere for fall opportunities. I found the link to my internship on the Rachael Ray website and followed the instructions to submit my resume and cover letter. I was then contacted by the Production Coordinator, whom is now my supervisor, for an interview.

SM: Why did you choose to intern at Rachael Ray?

MH:  I chose to intern with the Rachael Ray Show because I love the show. I’ve always been an avid food network watcher and when Rachael moved to daytime television I knew I wanted to be apart of the production as soon as I was eligible.

SM: What is your favorite part of your internship?

MH: My favorite part of my internship is getting to interact with the crew and producers. Being in the media field, you come into contact with people who have all come here from different walks of life. Some people have connections, some are new graduates and others have worked their whole lives to get to where they are now and that is so fascinating to me. The people behind the cameras have so many life stories that you just want to hear and absorb it all.

SM: How has this internship benefited you? 

MH: My internship has benefitted me by giving me real world experience. I love getting to see how television is made and all the behind the scene aspects.

SM: Do you have any cool stories from your internship? Please share them, we would love to know about some of your favorite memories!

MH: I have so many cool stories from my internship! I have encountered celebrities that have actually left me completely starstruck. Another cool aspect to my internship would be THE FOOD. After a meal is made on the show, it’s placed backstage for the crew to taste and this is my favorite time of the day. The food tastes just as good as it looks on TV, Rachael really is an amazing cook.

SM: How does it feel to talk to Rachael herself? Where you ever starstruck? 

MH: Rachael is a really busy woman and is usually always on the go and running around the studio so there isn’t much time to sit and talk. However, she is really friendly and the atmosphere is such a fun one to work in. I have definitely been starstruck by some of the celebrities that have come through the studio, but I have to try my hardest to act calm, cool and collective. I was especially starstruck by Kelly Clarkson when she came in to talk about her engagement with Rachael. I have been following Kelly since she first won American Idol and even saw her in concert this summer when she opened for Maroon 5, so when she came into the studio I couldn’t do anything but smile and turn bright red.

SM: Do you have any advice for other collegiettes at Quinnipiac University who are looking to intern in the broadcasting industry?

MH: My advice for anyone trying to intern in the broadcasting industry is to apply, apply, apply and then apply some more. It’s all about getting your name and resume out there and the more you apply and send out e-mails the more a company will recognize you. Once you have your foot in the door, it’s easier to establish a connection and move around within the field.

SM: As a senior, where do you see yourself after graduation?

MH: After graduation, I (hopefully) see myself having a job. I absolutely LOVE my internship at the Rachael Ray Show and would be honored to stay with the show but I’m going to apply everywhere and see what comes up. My goal is to move into NYC and work in the TV field!