Is The Iphone 5 Right For You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

All the recent hype in the news and across campus has been about the iPhone 5. What makes it different than the previous iPhones? Well, the screen is taller which gives an extra row of apps. It is available in 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB. It is also lighter and thinner than the iPhone 4 and 4s. 4G LTE has finally been added which allows for super fast downloads. A new A6 chip increases performance and battery life. Also, with an enhanced display screen, the panorama feature intensifies ways to capture memories.

The dreaded change to most customers, though, is the new charger. It’s unique and smaller than the previous ones. This means that it can’t be used in the docks that have adapted the wide port as their standard size. With that being said, does this mean you should drop your current phone for the new one? Do you have $200, $300, or even $400 dollars to spend on this new gadget? I think that the iPhone 5 has great features, but it forces us to want the most recent technology. Each year, new devices come out before I even have a chance to absorb the ones I already own.

Our generation wants to be connected by having everything available at our fingertips. If people don’t have the most up-to-date inventions, they feel like they are missing out. Although this technology is exciting to look forward to, I think there is no need to rush to the stores to pick up an iPhone 5 if you are content with what you have. On the other hand, some people have already bought their new iPhones. They are curious to see how it works and if it will be everything experts have said it will be. They will most likely have a great experience with it because Apple has yet to let us down.

Those of you who feel like you can’t afford it or have just gotten a new phone, don’t feel pressured to buy it. Soon enough, something new will come out that will create a new commotion. It’s your decision, but remember that birthdays and holidays are prime opportunities to put this on your wish list!

Callie Barkley is the Campus Correspondent and a contributing writer for Quinnipiac University. At Quinnipiac, which is located in Callie's home state of Connecticut, she studies Public Relations with a minor in Computer Information Systems and will be graduating in 2014. Callie's writing interests are related to healthy eating, working out, and surviving the intern/job world. When Callie is not focused on her work she loves to spend time with her friends and family, travel, and will take up any offer to have a little fun!