How to Survive Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

It’s always nice to go home.  It’s a place of familiarity and comfort.  It’s also a place where you’re able to do unlimited loads of laundry without once swiping your Qcard.  But being home for break is not always as ideal as we like to think.  After following no one’s rules but your own for two and half months, you have to adhere to your parents, which can lead to conflict and distress.  Here’s how to make it through the most common issues that occur when transitioning from being at college to being at home. Hopefully you’re able to get through the week on more than civil terms with your family.

Issue 1: Checking In

You’re going out to catch up with your friends from home.  On your way out the door, your mom reminds you to remember to check in and send a few quick texts letting her know where you are throughout the night.  While you may be thinking that you grew out of checking in with mom when you graduated from high school, look at it with a new perspective.  When you go out at school you usually check in with a friend or roommate, giving her the heads up of where you are throughout the night.  Yeah, that may have more to do with correlating rides and plans, but you are still sending the text.  So it’s not really going out of your way to send mom a text if you’re usually sending them to your friends.

Issue 2: Scheduling

When you’re in your dorm you don’t think twice about staying up till 2a.m. catching up on American Horror Story.  When you’re home your family is most likely going to be on completely different schedules than you’re used to.  No one is going to want to hear you screaming at the TV when they’re trying to get some shut eye.  Instead of complaining about how unfair it is that you have to work your schedule around others when you’re supposed to be on break, think of it as an opportunity for you to get your own shut eye.  If everyone is going to bed before your usual bed time, join them.  Break is chance for you to catch up on the sleep you know you so desperately need.  Take advantage of the time, avoid the fight about your freedom and go to bed.

Issue 3: Balancing Friends and Family

Break is great time to catch up with your friends and family that you haven’t seen in awhile.  But it is not a great time to argue with your parents about how much time you’re going out.  If your parents are trying to limit your time with your friends, it’s not because they are trying to be spiteful.  They too have to adjust to life without you living under their roof and may just want to spend some extra time with you before you go.  Try to balance between friends and family but alternating between going out one night and staying in the next.  That way no one will feel like they’re being ripped off from hanging out with you.