Help Your Friend With Her Hookup Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

It’s not an official breakup but your friend is still broken up. She’s been hooking up regularly with a guy and thought they were headed towards a relationship. You could see that they definitely weren’t. She wanted exclusivity and he wanted out. Their undefined relationship is over and your friend is distraught. Part of you wants to tell her, “I told you so” while another part of you can’t help but feel for her. We’re here to help you to straddle that line.

Give her a girls night. No matter the situation, when a girl becomes emotional she just needs a night to stay in and hang with her friends Put on some Sex at the City DVDs, get her a bottle of her favorite wine, make the
dress code sweatpants mandatory. Whenever a girl gets dissed by a guy, she needs to know her friends are there for her. A low key night is just what she needs to remind her that you’re there for her no matter what, even when she makes a not so smart decision or wears those hideous striped pajamas.

Talk to her. This may seem obvious, but often times in these situations girls will just let their friend vent tothem. You need to have a conversation where you’re both talking. And don’t wait to talk when you’re frustrated with the situation. Don’t tell her that you knew a relationship was never going to work. Instead explain to her why you could see that a relationship was never going to work.

Remind her that it’s a lesson learned. Your friend may be feeling pretty dumb right now and kicking herself for not seeing what so many saw coming. Remind her that she is not a dumb person, that she just made a dumb mistake. There’s a difference. While making a mistake is not the most fun thing to experience, they are an important part of life because they teach us lessons. Taylor Swift, who knows a thing or two about messy relationships, says it best, “What I’ve learned is that even if love ends badly, it’s worth it if it made you feel something, if it taught you anything.”

Callie Barkley is the Campus Correspondent and a contributing writer for Quinnipiac University. At Quinnipiac, which is located in Callie's home state of Connecticut, she studies Public Relations with a minor in Computer Information Systems and will be graduating in 2014. Callie's writing interests are related to healthy eating, working out, and surviving the intern/job world. When Callie is not focused on her work she loves to spend time with her friends and family, travel, and will take up any offer to have a little fun!