Halloween Preparation: 2 Treats Your Costume Won’t Hate You For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Once October 1st rolled around, plenty of college women started counting down the 31 days until they’ll be showing off belly-baring costumes and super leggy skirts. Suddenly, pumpkin spiced lattes take a back seat to the thought of being Instagrammed as the sexy version of just about any employee, animal or superhero imaginable. However, thanks to the ingenious work of health food bloggers, we’ve uncovered two banana-themed treats to satisfy your sweet tooth without the guilt.

Banana Ice Cream

Nothing soothes a bad test grade better than a cup of ice cream. Make your own 100 percent healthy version by simply slicing two bananas into coin-sized chunks and freezing them for an hour. After time has passed, blend the bits until they become the creamy texture of ice cream. It’s that easy…

Feeling adventurous? TheKitchn suggests a number of different mixtures you can try to create different flavors. For example, add 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and 1 tablespoon of honey to spice things up a bit, or you can try a scoop of cacao powder if you’re craving chocolate.

Banana Pancakes

As we head further into fall, you may notice yourself craving warmed cookies and freshly baked brownies symbolic of the chilly season. Instead, mix sweet with heat by snacking on healthy banana-battered pancakes. Simply beat two eggs in a bowl and mush 1 ripe banana evenly into the mix. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and be sure to stir well. Lightly grease a frying pan with butter or extra virgin olive oil before letting the batter simmer on the stove and form into mini pancakes. The best part? They’re sweet enough to eliminate the need for extra butter and maple syrup.

However, don’t be afraid to experiment! Feel free to add a handful of blueberries to the batter before cooking, or chop fresh strawberries and scatter them on top. If you’re more interested in straying away from a breakfast feel, try mixing half a cup of chocolate chips or sprinkling a pinch of powdered sugar once they’re fresh off the stove!

Remember that dieting doesn’t need to be about deprivation, and that there’s always a healthier way to satisfy your sweet tooth.  Reward yourself on Halloween for your hard month-long work with a Reeses Cup (or two)!

Hi I'm Marisa. I'm from Westchester, New York and I'm 21 years old. I am studying Public Relations at Quinnipiac University and I love running, baking, and shopping.