Every Girl Deserves Prince Charming- 5 Tips to Show Your Boyfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Just because we are dating college boys, doesn’t mean they should act like college boys. Every girl deserves a prince charming, and even if our boyfriends are in college, they should still behave like gentlemen and treat us like the royalty we are.

The general stereotype for a college boy: drunken womanizer, poor hygiene, lazy, and obnoxious – at least that’s what we see a lot of here at Quinnipiac. Even though this is not the case for every guy on campus, I think it is important for these college boys to prove this stereotype wrong, and transform themselves into real gentlemen; if not for themselves, then for their girlfriends.

So many girls have complained to me about these next couple of things. Through my own experience, I know that it can be difficult to explain these things to your boyfriend. Therefore, I have clearly written a few tips for you to show your boyfriend. If he still doesn’t get it, then maybe it’s time to exchange him for a true gentleman.

1) Communication: Don’t leave your girl hanging! Make it a point to send her something sweet at least once a day: “I can’t wait to see you later”, “Good morning, love”, “Just thinking about you :)”, or even just, “Love you.” Whether you pick up the phone and leave a voicemail, or even shoot her a quick text, it shows that you are thinking about her and want to let her know how much you care for her.

2) Boundaries: Some college boys get confused when it comes to boundaries. They think they are being good communicators when in fact, they are just being clingy. A gentleman knows how to give his girlfriend the space and independence she needs. It is still important to communicate with her (to let her know you’re alive and thinking about her), but it is also important not to smother her. Even though we love our boyfriends, we still need to assert our independence and have a life outside of our relationships. A gentleman will respect this space.

3) Romance: In order to become a true gentleman, college boys need to keep their hormones in check, and show his girlfriend his true romantic side. This is especially important if you have been in a relationship for a while now – don’t let the romance die; instead, surprise her with roses or a romantic picnic at sunset. Even if it sounds corny and lame to your bro-friends, your girlfriend will love the gesture and it will show your true romantic side.

4) The little things: It really isn’t difficult to act like a gentleman, especially if you just follow a couple little rules:
• If your girlfriend says she is cold, offer her your jacket or sweatshirt.
• If she is hinting at something – like how she would prefer Italian food instead of Chinese, take the lead and bring her to an Italian restaurant, even if you would have preferred Chinese.
• If your girlfriend is quiet and acting upset, don’t ignore it! Ask her what’s wrong and let her know that you are always there to listen and keep her safe.
• Open the door for your girlfriend.
• If you are watching a scary movie, put your arm around her and let her hide in your body.
• Even if you are surrounded by your bro-friends, make sure you keep an eye on your girlfriend. We are fully capable of handling ourselves during social events, but a gentleman likes to make sure his girlfriend is comfortable and happy.

5) Honesty and Openness: Sometimes, the most intimate thing a man can do for his girlfriend is open up to her about something deep or emotional. It is a myth that real men don’t show emotion. In fact, the most secure and manly men know when it is appropriate to share what is on their mind or their deepest darkest secrets to the one they love. Being open allows your girlfriend to know how you’re feeling, and also shows that you trust her. Being open with each other will also create an intimacy that is so far beyond anything physical.

My name is Ciara Duggan. I am a senior public relations major at Quinnipiac University in Hamden, CT. I love to write about everything and anything and I love writing for Her Campus Quinnipiac.