Dress to Impress on V-Day, Single or Taken!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

February 14, the most romantic day of the year, is just around the corner. Lets face it: either you love it or hate it.  Some girls just can’t wait for V-day, anxiously waiting to see what their boyfriend has planned to make it the perfect day, while others dread it and try to avoid it at all costs. But, hey it doesn’t have to be a complete downer right? I mean we all like to eat chocolate along with dressing to perfection! 

So, whether you are taken or flying solo everyone can dress their best this Tuesday. Single ladies, although this day can seem depressing and make you want to hide behind all those black clothes, why not sport some pink or red? You never know whose eye you may catch! So here’s your guide of what to wear without looking too depressing but then again not looking like a life-sized valentine. 

First of all, let’s remember that dressing for Valentines Day doesn’t always mean wearing that skintight red
dress to make jaws drop. It’s also okay if you’re not jumping up to throw on that bright red sweater, but it doesn’t mean you can’t look festive! 

Well, don’t underestimate the power of accessories. A pink scarf with a black sweater and jeans can be so classy, fun and festive. Simply match up that little black dress with a red belt. A black v-neck with a bright, bold, chunky necklace always looks great. This way its not overbearing and you don’t look like your trying to avoid this lovely “holiday.” Rocking the accessories doesn’t have to stop there though. Who doesn’t love red pumps with skinny jeans and a simple, classy top? And with a touch of red nail polish you are ready to conquer this day. Have that bright red handbag in your closet that you love in the summer but never use in the winter? Purses are a great and easy way to really make an outfit and help you stand out from the crowd. 

Bright, bold accessories are great with neutrals but if you have that perfect pink or bright red dress please pick one or the other. Otherwise it may come off as a little too much at once and overbearing.

So whether you’re going out for a romantic dinner for two, or seeing “The Vow” with your roommates, a little color never hurt anyone! You’ll be sure to have an awesome day with some color and of course some chocolate. Be sure to brighten up everyones day as well as being confident in yourself, single or not. Happy Valentine’s Day everyone! 

Red Dress: Forever21.com
Heels: Zappos.com

Photo Sources: Pinterest.com

Molly is a senior print journalism major and psychology minor at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys cooking, baking, reading, and spending as much time on the beach as possible. Molly loves to travel, and recently brought home a dog, Kodiak, from Rincon, Puerto Rico in January 2011. She is an aspiring food writer for publications such as Gourmet, and Fine Cooking. In preparation for this career, Molly spent the summer of 2011 working on an organic farm, and hopes to attend the Culinary Institute of America after graduating from QU in the spring. Having been a transfer to Quinnipiac in the fall of her sophomore year, Molly knows the importance of being outgoing and friendly, and hopes to make many wonderful memories during her last year in Hamden.