Ditch the Sugar Coated Bloat- Drink This, Not That

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

When you resolve to lose weight, eating right and working out are obvious solutions.  But what about drinking right?  Sugar is your body’s arch nemesis when you’re trying to live a healthy life, and it’s so common to forget how often it creeps into our coffee mugs…and shot glasses….and solo cups….

…Yeah. 

No matter the season, sugar is just something you can’t escape; at least if you’re drinking something other than water.  In the winter, it’s the whipped cream on top of your mom’s homemade hot chocolate. In the summer, it’s the fruity sangria you drink by the beach.  There’s basically no escaping its sweet, glittering allure – until you realize it’s the reason those damn love handles just won’t budge.

Don’t put your clean diet and kick ass workouts to shame just because that really hot guy wants to buy you that really delicious (and sugary) drink.  You can still have fun, and then discuss your fun over mimosa’s with the girls Sunday morning, without feeling what we will call the “sugar coated bloat”.  It may cost you some extra time in the kitchen, but it will be worth it when you realize how much of what you drink may as well be made in Willy Wonka’s factory.

Hot Chocolate

DO try using chocolate protein powder to make it yourself (if you don’t have any, you know there’s a guy down the hall who does…)

–          This recipe (via carascravings.com) looks awesome: mix 1 cup almond milk, ½ scoop chocolate protein powder and 1 tablespoon natural unsweetened cocoa powder, then heat it up on the stove.  Could it be any easier?

DON’T add any whipped cream, especially if you’re getting it from Starbucks.

–          Whipped cream really isn’t necessary to make a really good cup of hot chocolate.  If you’re ordering your hot cocoa, you really have no idea what insane amounts of sugar are in it to begin with… so why add any more?  It will be just as savory without the fluffy stuff

Iced Tea

DO take the time to chill your normally hot cup of tea

–          Arizona has nothing on a non-processed glass of iced tea that never had to live in a can.  Just brew your tea the way you like, add some honey for sweetness, and refrigerate until cool enough to drink with ice.  And if you’re feeling particularly fancy, throw a lemon wedge in there for flavor.

DON’T risk drinking from the bottle or the can, even if it’s “unsweetened”.

–          Just because it’s “unsweetened” doesn’t mean it won’t harm your body.  It’s simply an evil marketing trick to make you think you’re being mindful of your sugar intake, and therefore you consume more of the product.  When a regularly sugary drink releases a “diet” version, the latter tends to contain more chemicals than the original in order to make up for lack of taste.  But that’s so unnecessary!  Making your own will taste better than the original and the diet version, anyway.

Soda & Mixed Drinks

DO start investing in flavored seltzer.

–          Sometimes the craving for a carbonated drink can be so strong that you just settle for a Mountain Dew (which contains more sugar than the average Hershey Bar, by the way).  If seltzer isn’t your thing, make it your thing.  There are tons of no-calorie, no-sugar, no-additive seltzer flavors to choose from, and there’s no catch!  Drop a bit of lemon, lime, strawberry, or whatever else you like into it for a stronger taste.   Also, mixing fruity flavored alcohol with your seltzer tastes amazing and will seriously diminish the sugar coated bloat.

DON’T mix drinks or chase shots with soda.

–          It’s SO not worth it.  Alcohol is extremely harmful to our bodies to begin with, and since we’re not going to stop drinking, we might as well mix with something that’s a least a little less harmful!  My roommate makes a mean mixed drink that only contains water, Crystal Light Lemonade, and Citrus Smirnoff…it tastes amazing and doesn’t even come near the amount of sugar and calories that bottled lemonade would provide.  The water also helps minimize the dehydrating affects of alcohol… so you can expect much less of a hangover the next morning.

Wine & Sangria

DO make Sangria with red wine and agave nectar

–          If you’re looking for an alcoholic drink with the least side effects, wine is the answer.  Unlucky for me, and all of the other Pinot Grigio lovers out there, red wine is your best bet – it’s lower in sugar and has proven to have heart-healthy benefits.  Of course, these benefits go along with just a small serving at a time, so make your glass more fulfilling by adding these awesome sangria-esque ingredients (via hollypinafore.org): lemon, lime, & orange wedges, blueberries, agave nectar, a bit of rum, and sparkling water.  Sounds like a good time to me.

DON’T order Sangria from a restaurant. 

–          Make it yourself instead, with the recipe listed above.  Once upon a time I ordered Sangria at Red Lobster (not the best place to get drinks, I know), and it tasted like straight up Juicy Juice – so sweet that I couldn’t finish it myself!  When there is risk for a high sugar count, don’t trust the bartenders.  You’re better off tailoring the drink in your own kitchen to avoid the sugar coated bloat.

Are you up for the low-sugar challenge?  By spending extra time concocting mixtures and blending ingredients, you’re seriously rewarding your body…and your taste buds.  So try it out!