The Complexity of Choosing a Cereal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Cereal is one of the easiest meals to make; simply open the box, pour it in a bowl, add some milk, and you are done. However, contrary to the simplicity of this meal is the complexity of the ingredients. Manufacturers have perfected advertising strategies to lure in consumers with enticing lines like “Excellent source of fiber” or “Heart healthy cereal.” In reality, far too many popular brands are nothing more than concentrated boxes of artificial and unhealthy ingredients. It takes a smart consumer to look beyond the advertising claims and to read the nutrition panel to understand just what the product contains.

What to Avoid in a Cereal

Some important ingredients to avoid when choosing a cereal are hydrogenated oils, also known as trans fats, saturated fats, artificial dyes, chemical preservatives, and high amounts of sugar and sodium.  WebMD provides a formula to calculate the percent of calories from sugar in a cereal. The first step is to multiply the grams of sugar per serving by four, which is the number of calories per gram of sugar. The second step is to take this number and divide it by the total number of calories per serving. The third and final step is to multiply this number by 100 to get a percentage.

What to Look For in a Cereal

Try to choose a cereal with one full serving of whole grains. Check the ingredient list to see if the word “whole” is listed, because if not, it is most likely a refined grain. If you do not have access to fresh fruit, dried fruit can be a good alternative. However, make sure to check the ingredient list to see if the actual real fruit is listed. There are many brands on the market whose “fruit” is simply artificial food dye and gelatin, like Kellogg’s Blueberry and Strawberry Mini Wheats. Raisins for example, are a great source of fiber, vitamins, and act as a natural sweetener. If you do choose a cereal with dried fruit, remember to check the ingredient label to differ added sugar from natural sugar, because the sugar listing does not separate these two sources.

Healthy Add-Ins

Once you choose a cereal brand, try to spice it up with your own twist. When it comes to milk, if you do not want to go the traditional route with low fat milk, try adding almond or coconut milk. Also, cut up pieces of fresh fruit such as strawberries, bananas, or blueberries. Cereal can also be transformed into a parfait by alternating layers of cereal, protein-rich Greek yogurt, and fresh fruit, for a great breakfast or snack. 

Top Rated Cereals

Cereal f.a.c.t.s. (food advertising to children and teens score), a website that provides information regarding the nutrition quality and marketing tactics of cereal to youth, put out their latest ranking of brands for 2012.

1. Kellogg Mini-Wheats

2. Kashi Golden Goodness

3. General Mills Cheerios

4. Cascade Farm Purely O’s

4. Quaker Life Crunchtime (tie)

Consumer Reports conducted a study in 2009 that also recommended particular brands as being a healthy option. The study found Cheerios, Kix, Life, and Honey Nut Cheerios to be both low sugar and high in dietary fiber.

The above recommendations only highlight some of the many brands of cereal that are indeed healthy options. Just remember the next time you are in the supermarket, the key is to look beyond advertising claims and look for proof in the nutrition facts.