Are you a Victim of SAD?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Do you ever find that the trek to the Café seems longer than usual, and when you get there you eat every carb and sugary treat in site? Do you find yourself thinking of the saddest things and feeling like you can stay in bed all day and skip out on studying?  Well, do you feel like you had more energy in the summer and these things would have been easier? Does this sound like I’m advertising a depression pill?

Answered yes to the last one plus another? Well, you may be a victim of Season affective disorder (SAD).  Those who suffer from SAD find that in the summer, they are happier and when fall hits they are start sinking down the mood ladder. SAD occurs at the same time every year with symptoms starting in the fall and going straight through the winter months.

So why exactly do the symptoms start in the prime time of the fall semester?

Well, during the fall and winter months the days are shorter and there’s not much sunlight to keep your tan and your body satisfied. Serotonin is a hormone that is triggered by sunlight and helps to keep you happy!

Don’t let SAD zap your energy and put you on everyone’s “Crank Ball” list.

Here are a few tips to help battle SAD:

1.      Wear bright colors: Just because winter is coming doesn’t mean you have to put away your bright summer colors! Wearing things that are bright can help to keep that smile on your face.

2.      Keep your dorm bright: If your roommate pops out her dull colored comforters, keep yours bright. Decorate your room with posters and pictures that remind you of the summer.

3.      Exercise: You ever feel a sudden burst of energy after getting it in at the gym? Well it’s because exercising for at least 30 minutes releases endorphins—they make you feeeeeel good!

4.      Rest Up: You already know how you can get if you don’t get enough sleep…don’t make things worse. Skipping out on shut eye can make you cranky, so make sure to shoot for 8-9 hours a night (it’s possible in college!).

Don’t let SAD ruin your performance in school or your social life. Battle it, keep it cool and know that you can be happy!

Print Journalism major with a passion for fitness, health, life, and the simple things. If you want to read more of work, check out my blog: http://naturallymel.wordpress.com/