Are You a Victim of The Freshman 15?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

You’re a freshman and have just finished taking your midterms. As you reflect on your progress throughout the semester thus far, academically and socially, how does your diet stack up? Do you think you have fallen victim to the dreaded “Freshmen 15?” Well, there is no need to panic if you have put on a few extra pounds since high school graduation; this is actually quite normal considering the circumstances of being a college student. Stress, exams, frequently ordering takeout and having nonstop access to unhealthy dining hall food can all add up to be a recipe for disaster. However, even with your tight budget to spend on food and limited time to go to the gym, there are t
hings that you can do to make a positive turnaround for the second half of the semester.

Eat Breakfast
College students have bizarre schedules. Some days your first class can start at 8 a.m.and other days not until the evening, meaning you can sleep to whatever time your heart desires. But, the problem with this schedule is that there is no structure for your meals. Every day, it is important that you eat three meals; breakfast, lunch and dinner. In a 2011 study conducted by The NPD Group, a marketing research company, one out of 10 Americans skip breakfast. Within this statistic, 28 percent of males and 18 percent of females ages 18 to 34 skip breakfast. Not only does eating breakfast help improve your performance in the classroom, but it also helps to control your hunger during the day. If you satisfy your hunger early on, you will be less likely to binge eat at your next meal. Eating breakfast also jumpstarts your metabolism, which is key to losing weight. Just remember, a nutritious breakfast does not have to be complicated, it can be as simple as having a cup of Greek yogurt, fruit, or an egg. 

Snack Smart
Between meals, snacking is not necessarily a bad thing if it is done correctly. Stock your dorm room with healthy options so you are prepared to satisfy any craving before your next meal. Great options to keep on hand are nuts, trail mix or granola bars. Supermarkets are filled with healthy versions of these snacks with unsalted nuts and dried fruit that are packed with protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. If you know you are going to be spending a large period of time in the library, plan ahead so you can fill your backpack with snacks. If you come prepared, you can to avoid the temptation of going to the vending machine and devouring a candy bar with a side of potato chips.

Liquid Calories Count
Do you think there is no harm in going out for a drink with friends on the weekend? Well, you might be surprised to find out that a night of drinking can consume nearly one-third of the recommended daily caloric intake. Alcohol is classified as empty calories, or calories with no nutritional value. One ounce of 80 proof hard liquor has 64 calories, while 100 proof has 80 calories. One 12 ounce regular beer is even higher at 150 calories. Mixed drinks are especially high in calories due to their fruit juice, soda, and other flavorings on top of the alcohol. So the next time you are out, think twice about what drink you order before going up to the bar.

Avoid Peer Pressure
College is a time for self-discovery and finding
your place in the world. Unfortunately there are

many factors work to derail you along the way, one of which is peer pressure. In terms of diet, students fall victim to joining their friends in making late night calls to Dominos or ordering Chinese food every weekend. Suggest that you and your friends go out for frozen yogurt and top this sweet treat with fresh fruits. Or if you do order out, try a healthier fruit smoothie to satisfy your late-night cravings. Grilled chicken, vegetable wraps and salads are also great options for a more savory meal.

Be active
It is hard to find the time to stay active in college, especially when balancing classes, studying, meetings and work. But, even if it is just for one hour a day, make it a point to get your heart rate pumping. If going to the gym is not your ideal setting, there are other options to get in a workout. Go to a Zumba or kickboxing class with your roommates, or join an intermural team if you are looking for something with a competitive edge. Colleges also offer one credit gym classes that can range from tennis to rock climbing and yoga.

Learn About Nutrition
No matter what your major is, you have to take electives, so why not take a nutrition course. Not only will this fulfill your science requirements for those who are liberal arts majors, but it will actually teach you information to apply to your everyday life. If your school has a nutrition club, consider joining to meet other students who want to eat healthy, so you can share tips and motivate each other. There are also tons of blogs on the internet that can be great sources of information on how to live a healthy lifestyle in college through sharing their personal experience.  Join QU Eats! Quinnipiac’s Nutirition club or visit their twitter and Facebook for healthy eating tips!

Callie Barkley is the Campus Correspondent and a contributing writer for Quinnipiac University. At Quinnipiac, which is located in Callie's home state of Connecticut, she studies Public Relations with a minor in Computer Information Systems and will be graduating in 2014. Callie's writing interests are related to healthy eating, working out, and surviving the intern/job world. When Callie is not focused on her work she loves to spend time with her friends and family, travel, and will take up any offer to have a little fun!