7 Girl Power Songs For Your Music Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.
We’ve all had those days.  You know…the ones where we feel overwhelmed by life; where we feel weak, defenseless, even powerless against the stresses we face.
However, we also have the ones that make us feel as though we can conquer anything that life throws at us; where we trust in ourselves to get through midterms, 10-page research papers, and annoying group projects.

The following is a list of songs for both types of days.  They’re for when you need a fierce reminder of the strength that you possess, or for when you want to blast the stereo and tell the world how much you matter.

These songs reach into your gut and grab the sense of female empowerment that is inside every single one of us.

Roar – Katy Perry

“Roar” is the first single off of Perry’s upcoming album, Prism, out October 22nd.  The song is catchy, a typical characteristic of Perry’s pop hits, and the chorus is gloriously easy to sing along to.  “Roar” sends the message that we are strong women who shall not be messed with.  We have overcome the struggles that once tried to drag us down and danced through the fire, and now we are champions, and you’re gunna hear us roar.

Took the Night – Chelley

This is the kind of song that you pray comes on in the club just because you know you’ll have the fiercest dance moves out there.  (You’ve rehearsed it plenty of times in your room, after all.)  When you listen to “Took The Night,” you envision yourself turning heads at the frat party, making the boys’ jaws drop.  You know you look good, and there is no shame in that.  The night is yours, and you are prepared to take it.

Gunpowder & Lead – Miranda Lambert

I’m a sucker for some good country music.  Combine that with girl power, and you have Miranda Lambert.  She has a fierce, don’t-cross-me attitude that is also peppered with traces of a sweet, all-American girl.  “Gunpowder & Lead” is about a woman overpowering a man who used to abuse her.  It’s about women knowing when a relationship is toxic and being able to recognize that they hold the power to change their own lives.

Diva – Beyoncé

It would have been impossible to create a list of songs about female empowerment without featuring the most powerful female there is.  “Diva” is off of Bey’s third studio album, I Am…Sasha Fierce.  It’s the song that you shamelessly bump in your car with the windows rolled down because really, who cares if others on the road hear you screaming, “Diva is a female version of a hustlaaa”?  I’d also recommend listening to it while pre-gaming or getting ready for a night out with your friends.

Stronger – Britney Spears

“Stronger” will forever be a Britney classic.  It was the song you listened to on your Walkman, the music video you watched every day after school on TRL.  “Stronger” is for when you’re feeling your strongest…or your weakest.  It has an upbeat vibe and sends the positive message that whatever seems to be killing you now—your loneliness, for example—will one day not be killin’ you no more.

Work – Iggy Azalea

“Work” was released as the first single from Azalea’s debut album, The New Classic.  The single expresses the struggle some women face to work their way up and out of what they were born into.  As the title hints, this song empowers women to take pride in their work.  This means developing a dignified work ethic.  It also means understanding the “struggle” and the power of determination to make you better at everything in life.  You better work.

Independent Women – Destiny’s Child

“Independent Women” is another classic, at least in the minds of 20-something college students like us.  In this song, Destiny’s Child aptly represents all women who are independent in their own right.  These are women who refuse to be told what to do; they know the best way to care for themselves and are focused solely on that.  Beyoncé, Kelly, and Michelle are proud to say that they take care of themselves and don’t need anybody else to do so.  Ladies, it ain’t easy being independent.

So whether you’re channeling Katy, Iggy, Miranda, or (throwback!) Britney, keep these songs handy in your music library.  It is important to never lose sight of the power that women have to impact their lives and the lives of others.

Who run the world?  Girls.
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!