6 Spooky and Not so Spooky Halloween Favorites

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

October is here, and Halloween is right around the corner. For Quinnipiac students, it is one of our favorite days of the year. Girls get excited to dress up in several different outfits and join their friends in drinking for almost a week straight. Everyone tries to top each other’s costumes, hoping that theirs will be the most original. Being that Halloween is on a Wednesday this year, we will be sure to see students, and even some teachers, dressed up for classes. Although college students use Halloween as an excuse to party, there are other exciting things that lead up to the big day!

Top 6 Things About Halloween:

1. Pumpkin Picking – No matter how old you are, pumpkin picking will always be a fun activity to do with a group of friends. Going to the pumpkin patch, going through a corn maze, and going on hayrides is sure to be a blast and get you in the spirit of Halloween. Taking pictures in the cardboard cut outs will surely make for some good muploads.

2. The Decorations – Halloween is kind of like Christmas. If you celebrate Christmas, your house is usually decorated inside and out with all sorts of lights, nutcrackers, and dancing Santas. For Halloween, everyone decorates their dorms and houses with jack-o-lanterns, spider webs, and skeletons. Front yards become filled with inflatable witches, vampires, and gravestones. It becomes a competition, and college students flood stores to pick out the best decorations to add to their temporary homes.

3. The Movies – We all know the Halloween movies with Mike Meyers, but after awhile they become repetitive. Many Quinnipiac students look to the 13 Nights of Halloween on ABC Family to get the movies we consider classics. Hocus Pocus, Monster House, The Mummy, Beetlejuice, and Edward Sissorhands are just a few that we can look forward to watching with our roommates!

4. Mischief Night – The night before Halloween is when teens egg houses and TP trees, but it can also be thrilling for college students. This night is used to play pranks on friends and create mischief in neighborhoods. Even if you don’t live in a house, it’s fun to scare your friends – so take advantage of the tradition!

5. The Costumes -The costumes are by far the best part of Halloween if you celebrate this unofficial holiday. The types of costumes that are seen each year are superh
eroes, Hollywood icons, witches, pop groups, and athletes. Girls can take one of two routes – sexy or funny. Some girls want to dress provocatively because this is the only time it is acceptable to dress as a sexy cops, sailors, or sergeants. Other girls don’t care about showing skin and take the humorous route. Those girls can be found dressed up as board games, giant babies, or T.V. characters, such as Sue from Glee.

6. The Candy – We all secretly love candy, even if we try to deny it. There’s no better time to indulge in some candy corn or chocolate bars than Halloween. Although we don’t go door to door to earn it anymore, don’t hesitate to buy a bag of candy to leave in a bowl as a treat for your friends!

Callie Barkley is the Campus Correspondent and a contributing writer for Quinnipiac University. At Quinnipiac, which is located in Callie's home state of Connecticut, she studies Public Relations with a minor in Computer Information Systems and will be graduating in 2014. Callie's writing interests are related to healthy eating, working out, and surviving the intern/job world. When Callie is not focused on her work she loves to spend time with her friends and family, travel, and will take up any offer to have a little fun!