5 QU Fashion Faux Pas (Part I)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

We all arrive to college coming from different walks of life.  For the most part, many of us are ecstatic to start this new chapter of life.  Unfortunately, before arriving to their chosen school for the next four years, many people forget to leave some things from high school behind.  Others deem it necessary to revamp their wardrobe from the everyday uniform of jeans or sweatpants.

Honestly, do less.  There are some things that need to be laid to rest and left alone forever, and there are some fashion choices that should never have happened.  If you have committed any of these faux pas, don’t worry; you can still redeem yourself by never again wearing any of the items listed below in public.

And if you have any friends or know of anyone who has committed these horrendous faux pas, feel free to stage an intervention and save them from their own humiliating demise.  Here are five QU fashion faux pas that need to go this fall:

1.  Backless dresses and/or shirts that show your bra

There is no reason why anyone should know which color bra you wore today.  If you’re going to go for the backless shirt or dress, wear a stick-on bra or one of the various supporting devices created by those who understand the need for support.  Your “girls”, and the rest of the world, will thank you.

The right way to wear it:

2.  Jean shorts that are too short

We all know you’ve got nice legs—tanning, going the gym and/or genetics favored you.  The unpredictable New England weather allows for you to wear shorts into mid-September, but even before then, leave a little bit of length on your shorts for the rest of the world to be imaginative with.  Your shorts should not look like underwear.  Be a little tasteful and keep it classy, ladies.

The right way to wear it:

… And the wrong way:

3.  Toad’s dresses to class

This should not require an explanation, but for some people, the “no” has to be justified…so here we go.  No one wants to look like—or look at—a confused streetwalker in broad daylight.  Get it together and leave the Toad’s dresses for Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.  I can assure you that your professor and fellow classmates in your afternoon class will surely thank you.

The right way to wear it:

… And the wrong way:

4.  Velour tracksuits

I really wanted to believe that the velour suits had been left in the awkward 8th grade year before we transitioned into high school.  Unfortunately, some people like to resurrect what, in all honesty, should be left alone.  There is no reason why your bottoms and sweater should match perfectly—fabric and all.  Let it be.

Just don’t:

5.  Clothing that is too tight

OK, now I know this can be a touchy subject, but it must be said.  Granted, we were all created uniquely, but we must still dress according to our sizes and not the sizes that we wish to be.  It will keep you from looking ridiculous and save you some face.  There are plenty of ways that you can still make a statement with any outfit, regardless of your size.  It takes confidence in who you are as a woman, what you like and what looks most flattering on you.  Put away the muffin tops and pick your proper size.  When you look good, you feel good.

The right way to wear it:

… And the wrong way:

This is the first of a two-part series.  Hopefully my ladies out there are beginning to see and understand why we have to say goodbye to these wardrobe no-no’s.  (It’s all right; we forgive you.)  Often it is the smallest changes that make all the difference.

I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!