element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

You Don’t Need to be in a Relationship in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

End the Pressure:

Girls, you do not need to find a relationship in college.

As the new school year begins, the young women Queen’s University can be seen filled with excitement, fresh clothes, new backpacks, and a new mission: to be in a relationship. Every year, you hear about all the things young women do to finally settle into a relationship. 

For most students coming into University, this is the first time having complete control over their lives. No more parents, no more curfew, and no more home responsibilities. This is the time to be on your own and have fun! So, why is there so much pressure on women to find relationships when they get to college? Let’s face it, we have all seen the countless studies posted on social media; “60% of people meet their life partner by age 16” and “28% of married couples, who are college grads, graduated from the same school.” Although some of these statistics may well be true, this doesn’t mean you have to go into University looking to graduate with an MRS degree. 

We all dread those seven words spoken to us by our parents, grandparents, and friends alike. “Why don’t you have a boyfriend yet?” My question for them is, “Why do I need a boyfriend?” I grew up in a surrounding where almost everyone around me would ask these questions. My neighbors, my hairdresser, and even my high school secretary. The stress of relationships is everywhere, especially if you are not in a relationship. 

Photo Obtained by: Pexels – Taken by: Rosie Ann  CC0 License

Girls, you do not need to have a relationship in college to find the love of your life, and there is no rule against you if you just want to have fun while at University. End the pressure on young women to find their life partners in these college years, and spend these four years focusing on the important things going on in your life. 

References

Khalid, A. and Grasso, S. (2013). Facebook crunches data on the odds of meeting your soulmate at school. [online] The Daily Dot.