This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Choosing Religious Studies in my first year of university is a decision I will forever be grateful for. Indeed, I came into university with very little idea of what I wanted to do with my life. All I knew was that I wanted to learn about something I actually cared about. Although I’ve always been interested in religion, in breaking down how people think about the world around them, I never thought I would choose to spend four years of my life deeply analyzing how religiosity functions and what it means for us human beings. Yet, choosing Religious Studies has opened my eyes to things I have never known before. It has enabled me to see every human being in a new light. In this article, I want to reflect on my decision to choose Religious Studies to help anyone struggling to choose their major like I was. So, why did I choose Religious Studies, and was I right in my assumptions? Let’s find out.

1. I WANTED EXPLANATIONS ON THE NATURE OF THE UNIVERSE

Growing up, I constantly questioned the faith of those around me. I couldn’t wrap my head around religion and how I could believe in something I couldn’t prove. Although I was just a child, this innate desire to challenge everything around me has stuck, but it has transformed into more of a fundamental curiosity. I am endlessly curious about the world—how we got here, what it all means, and every other existential question a human being could ask themselves. I know we all have these thoughts, but I believe I think about these things a lot more often than the average Joe. Indeed, if you see me zoning out, I am most likely lost in thought about the nature of God, time, space—you name it. So, has Religious Studies given me answers? No, if anything, it has left me with more questions. However, I believe that questions are a good thing because it shows that you are open to learning. I believe that, thanks to this program, I will be forever open to learning from others and sharing in their view of life.

2. I WANTED TO UNDERSTAND PEOPLE

Religion is so fundamental to a person’s identity. I believe that even a lack of religiosity says something in itself. It all means something very deep to every individual. I can think of so many thoughtful conversations I have had with people that were sparked by telling them my major. Strangers have asked me if I believe in God. Others have made friendly conversation about their own deeply personal religious beliefs. There is something so vulnerable about sharing your beliefs with another human being. I wanted to be a person who could truly see people—who could take these pieces they share with me and use them to really get to know them.

3. I WANTED TO TALK ABOUT DEATH – WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT?

One of my fascinations has always been the concept of death and how we relate to death. Death is one of the only things we know for certain will happen, yet we have so much trouble talking about it. Indeed, even writing these words here, I feel like I am breaking some unwritten rule we as a society have declared to protect ourselves. Honestly, I was just excited to explore how people explain death—what they believe about the afterlife and where their loved ones may be. I am perpetually amazed by the beauty in how others make sense of death, and I find comfort in their respective beliefs.

In conclusion, I did not choose Religious Studies to tell me how to live. I chose it so I could understand the framework for which other people live their lives in hopes of understanding them, comforting them, and seeing them. I have purposely not included any elements of my own beliefs in this piece, as it is truly irrelevant. Everything we approach in Religious Studies has been from a point of neutrality. That is what is so beautiful about this program. We are not trying to prove this or disprove that. Everything is about understanding religion and how it informs people’s lives. Thanks to this program, I believe I have fostered my character as a well-rounded, compassionate, curious, and culturally sensitive individual that wants to go into a career where I can help people, acknowledging all facets of their identity in the care I provide (including, if relevant, religion!) Thank you for reading my thoughts, and maybe I will encourage one of you to choose Religious Studies as your major, or even just enrol in a few courses. I promise you won’t regret it.

Leah Pearl

Queen's U '24

Leah is a third year student at Queens U majoring in Religious Studies.