This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Recently, a friend of mine reached out and asked if she could use one of my articles as a feature in her novel social media initiative to inspire women during this time of hardship and uncertainty. As part of my involvement in her movement, she asked me to explain why writing these articles are important to me and what I hope comes from my experience as a writer. Until this moment, it had dawned on me that I had never genuinely reflected on this or asked myself these questions. Yes, I certainly write for pleasure – that was a given – but I knew there had to be a greater reason for why I write. In answering my friend’s question, I had come to terms with the realization that there are several reasons why I write – some of which appeared to be subconscious. As a final article for Her Campus this year, I thought I would share why I write and what writing has done for me.

Writing has a Mutual Benefit

When I craft my articles, I do so with the aspiration that my words will touch the lives of others. My hope is that readers are able to take something (or many things) from my articles. I write about a plethora of topics and themes, but no matter what I write or how I portray my words, I hope to leave an impression on my readers. Every time I sit down to write, I think to myself, “At the end of this, will people feel inspired? Challenged? Helped?” Such a great potential for mutual benefit exists in writing – for me, it’s an opportunity to speak to an audience and for the readers, it’s an opportunity to grow, to become a greater person, to increase their knowledge and help them face tomorrow in a different light. Writing introduces opportunities for ideas to be shared and it helps people stay connected. Writing helps me contribute to something bigger than myself and keeps me humble. It reminds me that I can always better myself and that self-actualization really serves as a growth-motivator and, in turn, grounds me to share my ideas for both myself and my readers. Especially in those moments where people are feeling defeated and struggling. I know I’m far from knowing it all, but I hope my writing reminds everyone that the most important thing to remember and the easiest to forget is: you’re going to be okay. 

It Helps Me Share My Life Experiences

Every article or piece of writing stems from an experience, or a collection of experiences. Within every story I write exists a series of real-life stories that shaped the story’s framework. I am only human so naturally I’m always making mistakes, achieving triumphs, growing, learning. Everyone says that the silver lining of a downfall is to get back on your feet and learn from it. In my opinion, writing is the gift that comes when you fall, get back up and share about it. Writing gives me the opportunity to be vulnerable and to express myself in a relatively transparent and sincere way. It is a gateway for me to communicate my life in a lighthearted, yet honest fashion. When I write, I cultivate this mentality that I am having a conversation with myself or a friend, talking and sharing about my day or my greater past. In doing this, I am able to communicate my experiences in a way that is tangible for myself. When I put my experiences into words and read my own stories as telling’s of my life, it helps me self-reflect to a greater degree.

It Helps Me Stay Connected with Who I Am

Generally speaking, a vast majority of my writing is expressive. My articles will demonstrate my thoughts, perceptions and ideas on many themes encompassed in the world around us. Life is busy and we are often kept occupied with external stimulation; school, work, family and a social life. Sometimes we are different people when we are at our job or are influenced by social media’s pull on how we should think, act, respond. When I write, I find that I am connecting with myself to a greater depth, reaching a profound understanding of who I am. Originality holds the key to keeping me grounded with myself. No two people are the same and so no one can write quite as I do because no one has lived my life except me. Writing keeps me honest and self aware; it’s a way for me to measure my growth and to help my development into who I am supposed to be.

It Gets Me Through the Tough Days

Rough days and difficult times are inevitable in life, no matter what age or stage you are at. As I am sure many of us have been given the current circumstances, I have found myself alone with my thoughts, which sometimes is a scary place. I find that I am constantly reflecting and reviewing my life, even things that have occurred months or years ago. Yes, it’s absolutely important to acknowledge your thoughts and recognize your feelings, but spending too much time in your own head can be unhealthy. Difficult times mean different things to different people. In my opinion, character matters during your tough days, especially during this pandemic. When you step back and look at a situation, you can form rational thoughts and organize your ideas. You can appreciate that what you are feeling is temporary and you will feel a little better with each growing day. Writing helps me reset and repose. When I write, I am able to step outside of reality and throw my emotions on paper. It helps me release whatever I’m thinking or feeling and is especially good for helping me understand my thoughts when my brain is foggy. For me, whenever I’ve had a bad day or something or someone has upset or angered me, I write everything down. Literally everything. Every thought, every feeling, even what I would say to the person. Half of the time, it doesn’t even make sense. But when I’m done, I take a few minutes and come back to re-read what I wrote. This provides me with mental clarity and almost always sheds light on a different perspective or two. I always feel better after, like a weight has lifted off of my shoulders. Writing myself through the hard moments is a healthy way for me to appreciate my feelings but to always look forward. 

It Makes Me a Better Person

It’s easy for me to claim that writing makes you a better person – I am a writer and for all the above reasons, I think it makes me a better person. But, I truly believe that the deliberate act of writing – which anyone can do – is extremely worthwhile. Aside from my articles, I also keep a daily prompt journal and I even write casually, simply because it’s healthy and has become a habit of mine. If I feel happy, I write. If I feel sad, I write. Angry? Write! Writing has become such a tool for me by helping me channel my energy and emotions. It helps me understand myself and others better. It helps me communicate better. It helps me think more clearly and respond more calmly. It even helps me get that much more out of a good book. I genuinely can’t think of a time where I wrote something and thought to myself, “Wow, I regret that” or “Gee, that was a waste of time.” Whether it’s simply to get through a bad day or writing a formal article, I always walk away feeling better, gratified, like wiping a chalkboard clean. I truly get so much out of writing and I’m sure if you pick up a pen (or opened your laptop, let’s be real), you would too. 

Darien Ahola

Queen's U '21

Darien is a fourth year student majoring in Health Studies at Queen's University. She enjoys going to the gym, watching The Office and plentiful amounts of Starbuck's Blonde Roast coffee (black, of course!)
HC Queen's U contributor