love foil balloon
love foil balloon
Mandy von Stahl on Unsplash

Valentine’s Day: A Celebration of Self-Love ♡

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Dreading Valentine’s Day? Ready to scroll through dozens of ‘happy couple’ posts on Insta?

Whether you’re going through a breakup, or just looking for someone new, the days leading up to Valentine’s Day can TOTALLY suck.  

In February, dozens of rom coms are added to Netflix, baristas draw heart-shaped designs on Starbucks cups, and Facebook and Snapchat even wish us a ‘Happy Valentine’s Day’. College students take advantage of the highly-anticipated cuffing season and meet up with new and familiar faces, hoping to find a new love interest.  

Red Roses Heart Cookie
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Even though celebrating Valentine’s Day in a traditional way sounds great, there are alternative ways to make the most out of your holiday.  This Valentine’s Day, I challenge you to think about self-love. Self-love is not talked about enough in relation to Valentine’s Day, but it’s honestly super important. How can you begin to show love to another before you show love to yourself?

Society has always stressed the importance of romantic love, but fails to emphasize the importance of self-love. Self-love means knowing how to respect ourselves, recognizing our limits, and trusting our decisions. 

The following are a few self-care tips to keep in mind this Valentine’s Day. Whether you’re single or in a long-term relationship, remember to make self-care your top priority this romantic season. 

Treat Yourself.

Head over to the mall and buy yourself a box of chocolates, a cute teddy bear, or even a new necklace from your fave store. You shouldn’t feel guilty about treating yourself because sometimes we all need some retail therapy:) 

Spend Time With People That Make You Feel Good.

Before Valentine’s Day, call up a friend or family member who you enjoy spending time with.  Ask them what their plans are for Valentine’s Day and if they’d want to make plans for February 14th.  If they agree to be your date for the day, plan out your time with them in advance so you’re not making any last minute plans.  Decide to bake cupcakes together, watch a romantic movie in the theatres, or even head to the gym. Going clubbing is always fun at night, and belting out some Hannah Montana, High School Musical, or the theme song from Friends can go a long way!

Recognize Your Worth.

Focusing on self-love is important on Valentine’s Day, but it’s also important every day. 

Why not start today???

XO.

Julia Sable

Queen's U '21

Julia Sable is a fifth year student at Queen's University. She is passionate about writing and hopes to pursue a career in fashion.
HC Queen's U contributor