The Ultimate Guide to Leonardo DiCaprio Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

With over 40 acting credits under his belt, Leonardo DiCaprio is no stranger to the silver screen. Beginning his career in television in the early 90’s, Leo has taken on a diverse range of roles over the years. On top of acting, Leo is also a dedicated environmentalist who uses his platform to advocate about climate change. Overall, Leo does a lot of incredible things both on- and off-screen. If the idea of 40 credits leaves you as overwhelmed as I was, the following guide will highlight the best of Leo’s work, including some well-known blockbusters and a few hidden gems.

What’s Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)

In the sleepy town of Endora, Gilbert Grape (Johnny Depp) cares for his brother (Leonardo DiCaprio) who has a mental disability. This poignant tale of brotherhood and Leo’s first Oscar-nominated performance is sure to tug at your heartstrings.

The Basketball Diaries (1995)

Based on a true story, Leo stars as Jim Carroll, a teenager growing up in 1960’s New York. The film documents Jim’s dark descent into drug addiction. While the subject matter is heavy, Leo’s nuanced portrayal of his character makes it worth the watch.

Romeo + Juliet (1996)

In a post-modern retelling of the Shakespearean play (with original dialogue intact), Leo’s Romeo falls in love with Claire Danes’ Juliet, despite the characters coming from rivaling families. Although the ending is (famously) tragic, Leo makes a perfect Romeo.

Titanic (1997)

This movie gives us one of Leo’s most iconic roles: Jack Dawson. Jack, a penniless artist, falls for Rose (Kate Winslet), an educated aristocrat, while they are both passengers aboard the ill-fated Titanic. A highlight of his early career, this movie is a must-see for any Leo fan.

Catch Me If You Can (2002)

In a classic tale of cat-and-mouse, Frank Abagnale Jr. (Leonardo DiCaprio) runs from the FBI after forging millions of dollars’ worth of checks and posing as a pilot, a doctor and a lawyer. With Leo in such an exciting and fast-paced role, this film is sure to keep you on the edge of your seat.

Shutter Island (2010)

In one of his most psychologically thrilling movies to date, Leo stars as Teddy Daniels, a U.S. Marshall who is sent to a remote asylum to investigate the disappearance of a patient. Leo’s outstanding acting combined with some dark twists make this movie one of his most intriguing.

The Great Gatsby (2013)

In this adaptation of Scott F. Fitzgerald’s 1925 novel, Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) becomes fascinated with his mysterious neighbor, Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio). Leo gives a phenomenal performance as Gatsby, expertly portraying the complexity and charm of his character.

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

This biographical comedy tells the real-life journey of Jordan Belfort (Leonardo DiCaprio), a stock broker who makes millions by defrauding investors through his brokerage firm. With Leo in one of his most comical roles to date, this is one movie that you don’t want to miss.

The Revenant (2015)

In this gory thriller, Leo stars as Hugh Glass, a renowned fur trapper who is left for dead after being mauled by a bear in the wilderness. As a character who is fighting to survive and dealing with plenty of emotional and physical wounds, Leo’s performance as Glass rightfully earned him his first Academy Award.

Well, what are you waiting for? Grab a bowl of popcorn and enjoy!