Life > Experiences

Tips for Backpacking Solo (and a Totally Biased Ranking of All the Airports I Visited in Europe)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

I participated in an academic exchange at the University of Edinburgh from January to May 2022. During that time, I was lucky enough to go on a few backpacking trips around Europe. Through trial and error, and learning some lessons the hard way, here are some of my most valuable takeaways from my trips.

Travel

Double-check EVERYTHING

One of the first mistakes to avoid on your backpacking trip is to arrive at the airport unprepared. Whether it’s arriving on the wrong day, forgetting your passport, or checking in late, there’s no shortage of ways to jeopardize your trip before it even starts. To avoid this mayhem, make sure to double-check all your documents before you leave. That includes noting the times and dates of everything! I once forgot to double-check the date of my pre-departure COVID-19 test when I was going to Paris and missed my time as a result. I couldn’t get a refund but still needed a test, so I had to book (and pay for) another to be allowed to fly. Additionally, if you’re flying with a budget European airline, like Ryanair, check in online before your flight. If you forget and need to check in at the airport in person, it can cost nearly $100 (I learned this lesson the hard way going to Vienna). 

girl in the Scottish Highlands
Lauren Zweerink

Never check a bag for a flight and make sure your bags are carry-on size!

When you’re backpacking, you’re often only in one place for a few days. Every hour counts to explore the destination! Checking a bag for a flight is a surefire way to waste a few more hours in the airport. You also run the (increasingly high) risk of your bag being lost. Not to mention—it isn’t cheap! Instead, pack as lightly as possible using a carry-on backpack or suitcase, as well as a personal bag to go under your seat. This will also make it easier for you to get from the airport to your accommodations or to other travel hubs, since you won’t be lugging around a huge suitcase. 

Book seats close to the exit of the plane and speed-walk to the customs line

Since I was living in the UK on my exchange, every time I flew into the EU (which was frequent since the UK is an island) I had to go through customs. Now, if you are traveling within the EU between countries (more specifically in the Schengen Area), you won’t need to go through customs each time. But, each time you arrive from outside the EU, you will. Budget airlines often deplane on the tarmac, directing you into a shuttle or leading you to walk across the tarmac into the customs area. I always tried to book my seats on the plane as close to the exit as possible (without paying extra) so I could exit the plane quickly, allowing me to get on the first shuttle or book it to the customs line. If you’re like me and hate waiting in lines, knowing you could be using those precious minutes to explore a new city, I encourage a polite speed walk to the customs line. Don’t knock people out of your way, but don’t feel bad about zig-zagging through the hoard of slow walkers that will inevitably take up the whole path. It’s like the feeling of the cannon going off at the start of the Hunger Games: if you don’t get to the front third of the customs line, you will inevitably be waiting for ages.

Hostels 

Stay in social hostels and mixed dorms (if you’re comfortable)

Staying in a hostel is one of the most classic parts of the backpacking experience. When you’re traveling alone, it’s one of the best ways to meet new people! In my experience, most younger solo backpackers stayed in these more social hostels and in mixed dorms (they’re also sometimes marketed as ‘youth hostels’). I found that more often than not, in all-female dorms, there were mostly friend groups or older women. You can still make friends in those dorms or in quieter hostels, but you may have to work harder! Most hostels will have bars or common areas, and I found hanging out in these spaces opened up opportunities for instant connections with strangers, since all you had to do was ask to sit with them and go from there! 

Book hostel rooms with an ensuite bathroom

It may cost a few dollars more a night for a hostel dorm room with an ensuite bathroom, but I promise it’s worth it. These bathrooms tend to be cleaner and the convenience makes the whole hostel experience much more enjoyable. That being said, I stayed in some hostels with communal bathrooms and they were good too! Just make sure to look at the pictures listed on your booking site closely.

Book a hostel with free breakfast—and eat it! And sneak some snacks for the rest of your day

One of the easiest ways to save money is to book a hostel that includes a free breakfast! I didn’t notice a significant difference in price between hostels that offered this and those that didn’t, so I suggest booking one with breakfast. Just make sure you actually wake yourself up early enough to go eat—you don’t want to miss a free meal! I’m not normally a big breakfast person, but when my hostels served it, I made sure to fill up (and even put a few snacks in my bag for later). Taking advantage of a free meal is super important. Not only because food is often one of the most expensive parts of backpacking, but because your days will likely be busy and tiring! Eating enough in the morning prepares you for a successful day of adventuring.

Exploring & Saving Money

Ask the hostel staff for recommendations 

There are always classic tourist spots you can’t miss in every city, like the Eiffel Tower in Paris or the Acropolis in Athens. Additionally, there are often unique and incredible sights and experiences only the locals know about! If the hostel staff are locals, or even if they’re from abroad but have been working there for a while, they’ll know about spots that won’t be as crowded with tourists. In other words, spots with opportunities for you to explore a new culture in a more authentic way. One of my favourite memories is when the bartender at my hostel bar in Athens took a whole group of tourists from the hostel with him and his friend group to a bar where his friend worked. It was the final night of Eurovision, and there I was with an eclectic group of travelers from all over the world watching the competition while asking a group of old Greek men for cigarettes (sorry mom!)

Be open to making friends everywhere—even if you only hang out for a couple of hours!

One of the best parts of traveling solo is getting to do what you want to do and not worrying about trying to make everyone in a group of friends happy. That being said, just because you’re traveling solo (and loving it) doesn’t mean you won’t ever feel lonely. Besides, part of traveling and staying in hostels is making connections with people from all around the world! Most other solo travellers want to make friends too, and almost everyone will be open to at least chatting with you. Going to dinner, grabbing drinks, or visiting a tourist attraction with a new friend, then each going your own way only to meet up later is one of the best parts of traveling solo. You get to do what you want, but you’re also able to do some stuff with someone new or a group of people if you want! It’s the best of both worlds, as long as you’re confident enough to put yourself out there!

Go at your own pace and don’t be afraid to wander around without a set destination 

Backpacking solo helped me become more in touch with my body and my emotions. Because I wasn’t preoccupied with stressing about if my friends were having a good time, I was able to really listen to my body and mind. I ensured I was meeting my own needs and taking care of myself. I was able to see the attractions I wanted, take naps when I needed to, and spend an extended time reading at a cafe or restaurant of my choice. This made my whole experience more enjoyable! Going at a slower pace also allowed me to wander around cities more and really take in each new place I was in. 

Be open to destinations you hadn’t thought of

I had yet to hear of the Canary Islands—let alone consider a trip there—before I saw the Ryanair ticket prices. It was about $40 round trip for two four-hour flights to get from Edinburgh to Fuerteventura, one of the stunning Canary Islands, which are just a hundred kilometers from the coast of Morocco and Western Sahara in Africa. Being open to new destinations because it was cheap to travel there was a game-changer for me! I saw places I could never have imagined because I opened myself up to adventure and uncertainty!

My European Airport Ranking 

This highly biased list is based on factors such as how long I waited in lines at the airport, how confusing it was, how easy it was to get to and from the airport, and the general vibes of each one. 

1. Edinburgh Airport (EDI)
  2. Budapest Airport (BUD)
  3. Glasgow Airport (GLA)
  4. Vienna International Airport (VIE)
  5. London Heathrow Airport (LHR)
  6. Venice Marco Polo Airport (VCE)
  7. London Gatwick Airport (LGW)
  8. Rome Fiumicino Airport (FCO)
  9. Paris Beauvais Airport (BVA)
  10. Santorini Airport (JTR)
  11. Athens International Airport (ATH)
  12. Feurteventura Airport (FUE)
  13. London Luton Airport (LTN)
Abby McLean

Queen's U '23

My name is Abby McLean and I’m a fourth-year student at Queen’s University. I am majoring in Global Development Studies and taking elective courses focusing on history! I’m passionate about social justice, sustainable fashion, travel, and writing! I try to live everyday as my most authentic self and foster creativity and self-expression in everything I do!