This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

I’ve always thought that the way humans gather as one under the rising sun was so undeniably special. The promise and potential of a new day, full of mystery and opportunity alike. New days can be puzzling and nerve-racking, but watching the sunrise, surrounded by the silence of the early morning, strips away all of the uncertainty and makes room for peace. I believe the way that we gather under the rising sun confirms that we are all connected somehow, all entranced by the warm orange glow of daybreak. Despite its physical magnificence, I believe dawn holds many secrets, many of which can be heard by simply reveling in the magic of the sunrise. From appreciating its slow-paced movements or inviting hues, to finding symbolism in the unknown, or its ushering in of a new day, sunrises speak to the soul. 

We can all learn a lot from the sun’s rising. Two days ago, I had the pleasure of watching its yellow haze wash over my line of sight. The way its light clutched onto all it sees, slowly but surely. The way its warm-toned voice provided a sense of calm before the noise of the day set in. Aside from its aesthetic appeal, sunrises symbolize the start of a new day. We face so much uncertainty each day, with most of our challenges unbeknownst to ourselves. It’s easy to get lost in the labyrinth of questions, not knowing which way to turn to escape the maze in our minds. Yet, sunrises remind us of the possibilities that dwell within these uncertainties. There’s power in knowing that everyday, the sun will rise again. Accepting the unknown and celebrating life in the face of the rising sun should be the goal — or at least that’s what I choose to believe. 

Within the unknown, each day brings a wealth of opportunity. You never know what a stranger may complement you on, or a beautiful flower you may notice. A friend’s laughter is yet to be heard and a call from mom has yet to be picked up. A new day, accompanied by the sunrise, can be filled with love and joy, if one chooses to see it. Focusing on the little joys that a new day brings has revolutionized the way that I go about my day, no matter how bright the sun may be that morning. Cherishing the little moments experienced under the sun makes all the difference. These sites for micro-appreciation allow your day ahead to become flooded by gratitude and small wins. These all serve as sources of joy, whether they be grand like the sun or as small as the first bite of a freshly cooked meal.

A lot can be learned from watching the sunrise. I encourage you all to seize the day and take a moment for yourself early in the morning. Watch the sun wake up and appreciate its orange-toned glory. Appreciating small beautiful moments like these make your new day all the more magical.

Natalie is a fourth year student in the Life Sciences Program. She is originally from Toronto, Ontario, and recently studied in Utrecht in the Netherlands.