This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

I sit, as I write this, in a coffee shop. A haven of caffeinated charm, coffee shops are so beautiful in nature. The way they serve as an oasis for the stressed academic, or the glue that holds an exciting first date together. No matter if you take your coffee black or prefer decaf, coffeeshops are special in that they hold so much potential. For the eager passerby, they share their warmth, and for the loyal customer, they provide a home. Despite the daily contingencies we all face, I’ve always believed a coffee shop is one of the best places to spend one’s time. Whether it be in the height of exam season or on a bright, sunny day.

This article was inspired by one of my favourite coffee shops here in Kingston, SENS Cafe. A dear friend of mine brought me here several months ago, and I have been inspired ever since. I would highly recommend their americano (if that’s your speed), or a matcha latte. It’s truly phenomenal. Overall, I firmly believe one can gain much from being present in a coffee shop. From the brewed beverages themselves to the introspective time spent looking out a window, these sites of unfiltered delight allow for the romanticization of the current moment. So, consider this my love letter to coffee shops, and all the magic they can bring to your life — if you so choose to accept it.

Firstly, I believe coffeeshops are the perfect space to work. As a student whose post-COVID academic routine consists of a slew of online classes, a sturdy chair, and a desk-for-one, coffee shops remain as an ideal study spot. That said, I know not everyone appreciates the ambiance that a quiet, cozy coffee shop delivers, which is why I’d encourage saving your more mindless or intuitive work for this time. I always love walking out of a coffee shop knowing I’ve read a little more of my book or feeling productive after a light study session.

Next, coffee shops are a magnet for people. As someone who enjoys the simple pleasures in life, there is nothing more special to me than sitting still and observing. Some call it people-watching, others, the art of noticing. Regardless of if your visual targets are the unique humans in your line of sight, or the icicles slowly melting onto the snow bank below, taking the time to sit in your surroundings can do little harm. It stands as a glorious pastime and a meditative activity to calm and centre the mind. Coffee shops are an exceptional spot to savour the stillness life offers, and simply enjoy the moment. 

Returning back to the present moment, I write this in SENS Cafe. To practice what I preach, I thought I’d let you in on the magic that currently envelops me. Louis Armstrong plays in the background softly, while the French coffee shop owner speaks to his customer, who now seems to be a friend. “I thought of you last week.” “Oh yeah?”, he smiles and responds. “A man came in here from Barcelona, he was doing his PhD in geophysics… I asked what brought him to Kingston, Ontario…” Louis steps back so Doris Day can dance. “He’s in the RMC force here…he’s also a regular at the bar, I see him quite often.” The cafe owner wipes the counter down with a weathered blue rag. They continue to converse while I feel a rush of chilly air from outside. The cold front swept from the lake whispers, ‘don’t forget about me’. ‘How could I ever’, I think. I smile, sip my lukewarm americano and get back to work while Louis’ soothing, sonorous saxophone fills my ears.

Coffee shops are a hub for human connection. I find bliss from sitting in a safe space, such as this one. Observing, listening, documenting and creating based on what I notice. Joy and stillness, served in a ceramic mug. To inspire your next voyage to a coffee shop, I thought I’d share some of my own favourites in the area. If you’re a student living in Kingston reading this, I’d highly recommend checking out SENS Cafe or the Chit Chat Café down by the water. Both unique and beautiful in their own ways, they each have provided me with quality time spent alone and treasured moments with friends. If you’re planning a quiet work or reading session, or perhaps a calming catch-up with an old friend, check out SENS Cafe. For a couple rounds of board games with friends, visit Chit Chat Café and be sure to try Claudine’s grilled cheese sandwich… it’s magical.

Natalie is a fourth year student in the Life Sciences Program. She is originally from Toronto, Ontario, and recently studied in Utrecht in the Netherlands.