This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

If I’m being honest, I don’t think that I have a favourite song. There are too many songs that I love and appreciate for many different reasons, which makes narrowing down what my favourite song is to be an extremely difficult task. However, one song that never fails to make me feel impassioned is Space Song by Beach House.

When I listen to this song, it feels like the universe is finally falling into place, but at the same time everything is slowly ripping apart. Each time I listen to it, I still feel like I’m gaining new perspectives. Perspectives that allow me to view the true beauty and truth behind the song. It’s so raw and moving for me that when I close my eyes, I fall into a trance where reality ceases to exist. In my opinion, Space Song is universal in the sense where it can be applied to any vulnerable and intimate situation. For example, I think that this song could perfectly capture falling madly in and out of love at the exact same time.

Space Song can embody someone dealing with self-hatred, experiencing a life changing moment, or riding their bike on the street at the end of a movie when everything is finally working out. The number of different situations is endless. I believe that almost all coming-of-age movies can use this song and it would make any scene much more powerful. Right now, I’ve only been discussing how I feel listening to the music part of the song, and I haven’t even gotten to the lyrics yet. The lyrics are in a completely different ballpark. This song is filled with such sorrow and feels like it’s slowly disintegrating into nothing. It is absolutely ethereal. There is something so soft yet powerful about the lyrics describing heartbreak and not being able to leave someone that you love. The lyrics make me envision twin flames who are rooted together, being forcefully separated.

Everything about this song connects people together and tears them apart simultaneously. You can find delicacy and passion, and it’s clear that it is special for Beach House. Space Song definitely holds a dear place in my heart, and I hope you take a listen as soon as you can. 

Sabrina Bernard

Queen's U '25

Sabrina Bernard is a writer Her Campus' National Program. She writes lifestyle content on the site, including entertainment, news, and experiences. Beyond Her Campus, Sabrina is heavily involved at her university, where she is an Orientation Coordinator for the largest not-for-profit orientation in Canada, she is the Co-President of the English Department Student Council, and models for her university's Sustainable Fashion club. She also volunteers at the local Animal Shelter when she goes home. Sabrina is currently a junior at Queen's University, majoring in English Literature with a certificate in French. She has also been a panelist at several literary conferences for her works. In her free time, Sabrina enjoys reading, playing with her cat Poppy, and petting every cat she can find on the streets. She's also a huge Modern Family fan and has rewatched the series multiple times.