This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

As the year begins to come to a close, one cannot deny that this was a fantastic year for queer media. Growing up with very little queer representation on TV, it is without a doubt that I am constantly looking for good queer representation that younger generations will be grateful they got to grow up with. Every year, it seems that most streaming platforms are becoming more progressive, and more LGBTQ+ characters are introduced for the audience to fall in love. After a year of bingeing show after show, I can happily say that this was an excellent year for queer media. So, here are five shows from 2022 that you should add to your watchlist for great queer representation. 

1. The Wilds (season 2)

Where to watch: Amazon Prime

Amazon Prime’s The Wilds follows a group of girls who wake up on a deserted island after a plane crash in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. They are all from completely different backgrounds, but the catch is they are completely unaware they’ve just become the subjects of an elaborate social experiment. After anticipating the second season for over a year, I binged the entire second season in one day, just waiting to see the development of Toni and Shelby’s relationship. The show does an excellent job at illustrating coming to terms with one’s sexuality after having to repress it, all while creating the perfect enemies-to-lovers narrative. 

2. Heartbreak High

Where to watch: Netflix

This Australian series just got renewed for a second season, and deservingly so. The show plays on Gen Z trends, satirically, all while writing realistic stories about sex, love and relationships. The show also has various LGBTQ+ characters leading the show, and you will absolutely fall in love with Darren’s witty catchphrases. 

3. A League of Their Own

Where to watch: Amazon Prime

Because who wouldn’t love a historically accurate show about an all-female baseball team during World War II, that also includes women-loving-women representation? A League of Their Own details the struggles of women during the Second World War, and they give excellent character development to LGBTQ+ characters and women of colour. So, not only will you love the outfits and storylines, but you will also love these women. 

4. High School

Where to watch: Amazon Freevee

As a Canadian that grew up jamming out to Tegan and Sara, I could not believe it when Amazon’s new streaming service, Freevee, announced they were releasing a biographic series about the duo’s memoir, High School (2019). The iconic Canadian sisters and music duo made smash hits like Closer and Where Does the Good Go. The show depicts their struggle of coming out during the 1990s in Calgary, while touching on elements of self-discovery and struggles of coming out with your sibling. In addition, the show gives major nostalgia and 1990s grunge, that genuinely make the whole show feel like a memory. 

5. Heartstopper

Where to watch: Netflix

Alice Oseman’s adaptation of her graphic novel Heartstopper took the world by storm back in the Spring. Despite never hearing about the graphic novel before its release, I sat and binged the whole show in one sitting. It had me laughing, crying and kicking my feet like I was in middle school. The show is pure and happy, with a couple of coming-of-age moments that will have you holding your breath in anticipation. I nearly dropped my phone in excitement when they announced the renewal of a second (and third) season. If I were to describe Heartstopper in one sentence, I would describe it as the type of show I wished I had when I was in middle school to make me feel a little bit more normal. 

Milla Ewart

Queen's U '23

Described by the New York Times as a "Full-Time Fool."