This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Films are arguably one of the greatest forms of escaping actuality. I, for one, believe the decision to put on a movie rarely does any harm. It’s a wonderful way to engage with art and media in a way that best serves your emotional urges. However, among the plethora of movies out there today, sometimes it can be overwhelming when you’re in the choosing phase of the night. By no means am I a movie buff, but I always aim to choose one that resonates with me most at that given time. Often the challenge is decoding the cryptic ways in which I feel while sitting in front of my laptop in a pitch black room; a daunting and unpredictable feat.

That being said, my one and only list on my Letterboxd account is one of the utmost importance: my comfort movie list. Of those fortunate enough to have the ability to both watch and appreciate movies, those that win trophies and lead to massive bouts of introspection are not the only ones I gravitate towards. For me, there is nothing better than getting into bed at a reasonable hour, with nothing to do but drink my freshly brewed tea in my favorite mug, and put on a comfort movie. When this is the case, it often feels like the choice is made for me. I get the luxury of skipping the picking phase and drowning through a sea of titles on Netflix, as my inner voice whispers, “I think this could use a rewatch”. That being said, there are several categories of what I would consider to be a comfort movie, each with its own beauty, and its own power.

First and foremost, the nostalgic comfort movie. These are what I would consider the traditional comfort movies, as they simply bring you pure comfort. Often taking you back to a simpler time, these movies often remind you of childhood. They allow you to escape to a familiar inner territory, full of nostalgia, innocence, and contentment while having your heart in a chokehold. My personal examples range from Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone to Disney’s Princess and the Frog. I’ve seen both of these movies upwards of 15 times each, and I surely anticipate these figures to climb by the end of 2023.

My next subgenre of comfort movies is the token favorite movie. These movies are the ones that make you feel, informing you of your humanity. They allow you to tap into internal truths, while simultaneously bridging a connection between you and the screen, and the vast audience relating to you. It allures and captivates you, reminding you of why you love movies in the first place, and why they’re so effective. They are true forms of art, parallel to the art that they reciprocally, emotionally evoke in their viewers. From heart-warming stories to thrilling adventures, ‘a favorite movie’ should always be celebrated. Some of my personal favorites include Good Will Hunting, Wedding Crashers, Crazy Stupid Love, and Goodfellas.

Lastly, comfort movies can equally be reminiscent of what could’ve been. In other words, it transports you to a dimension full of the things you long for. What we wish to have but do not, leading us to search for comfort in the hopes of finding these unpossessed treasures. These flicks range from fuelling future aspirations to paying homage to a future lover not yet known. They act as both sources of inspiration and bewilderment, through being dealt a hand of comfort. Finding solace in what we yearn for, served on a silver screen as opposed to a silver platter. They function as metaphors, laced with reassurance and conviction. While searching for personal examples for this subgenre, I realized that I am still discovering what my hopes and aspirations are, as they are ever-changing given my kaleidoscopic personal journey. But that’s for another time…

Altogether, I wholeheartedly believe in comfort movies. No matter the archetype, they can be cherished sites of love, reminiscence, and pure emotion. The perfect dosage of simple joy to remedy a bad day or troubled mind. A reminder of our humanity, paradoxically providing an escape whilst offering contemplative opportunities. I encourage you all to chase this multifaceted experience of comfort, as you never know what it may uncover.

Natalie is a fourth year student in the Life Sciences Program. She is originally from Toronto, Ontario, and recently studied in Utrecht in the Netherlands.