This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

RAISE YOUR HAND IF YOU’RE ALREADY BORED OUT OF YOUR MIND!!

Even though it’s only day 7 of quarantine, this new lifestyle is NOT gonna work for me.  During the school year, I would normally be so down to binge-watch a season of Love is Blind, cuddle with my puppy, or sleep until 1:00 pm. However, now that I’m forced to stay at home all day, I’m beginning to appreciate my chaotic life at school, and I’m really starting to miss my friends, classes, and extracurricular activities.  

Even though there were only 3 weeks left of the semester, everything still sucks.  My friends and I can’t believe we’re going to miss our school formals, dance recitals, and are even annoyed about not writing tests that we studied for.  

Because the semester ended so abruptly, everything feels unfinished and incomplete. Unfortunately, because we had to pack up quickly, only a few goodbyes were said, and being back home feels unusually quiet in comparison to living in residence, or in a house with friends.  

As strange as it sounds, leaving school without saying goodbye to friends, professors, and extracurricular activities, feels like I’m mourning a loss.  Even though I know this feeling will pass and know that I’ll be able to come back to school in September, I was looking forward to my last few weeks of classes, being able to sit by the pier, and performing in my dance recital.  I can’t imagine what fourth-year students are feeling right now because they’re not even sure if they’ll have a proper graduation. Even though I’m grateful to be at home, I didn’t have the chance to say thank you to my friends for always being there for me, I couldn’t hug my dance teachers after performing, and I wasn’t able to thank my professors for their continuous and unconditional support.  

Because of this, I’m spending the next few days writing emails, text messages, and even handwritten notes, to those individuals who’ve made a difference in my life this year.  It’s sometimes hard for me to express my gratitude through writing, but opening up is always necessary. 

Here are some examples of people who deserve to be recognized.  Keep in mind that this list will be different for everyone:

• Professors
  • Tutors
  • Dance teachers
  • Volunteers
  • Coaches
  • Academic advisors
  • Friends and mentors
  • Psychologists and counsellors
  • Bosses and supervisors
  • Anyone else who has made a difference in your life 

Soooo… spend the next 10 minutes emailing, texting, or writing a thank-you note. Even the old-fashioned “phone-call” will do, and it will be greatly appreciated! Expressing your gratitude will provide you with some closure, and your kind words will make someone smile.  Always remember that even a few words can go a long way.   

Happy writing! See you on campus in September <3.  

XO. Julia

Julia Sable

Queen's U '21

Julia Sable is a fifth year student at Queen's University. She is passionate about writing and hopes to pursue a career in fashion.
HC Queen's U contributor