Quirky Christmas Traditions Around the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

1. Italy – Buon Natale!

Unlike North America and many other places, it’s common for no meat or dairy to be eaten on Christmas Eve. A light seafood meal (not just any seafood – common types include clams, salted cod, calamari, sardines, and eel!) is often eaten before people go to a Midnight Mass service. Afterwards, people might have a slice of Italian Christmas cake called “Panettone,” which is essentially a dry fruity sponge cake, and some hot chocolate!

2. Japan – メリークリスマス!

Since there aren’t many Christians in Japan, Christmas is widely celebrated as just a time to spread happiness, and Christmas eve is thought of as a romantic day in which couples spend together and exchange presents. Weirdly enough, fried chicken is often eaten on Christmas day – it’s a busy time for restaurants like KFC. The traditional Japanese Christmas food is Christmas cake – a sponge cake topped with strawberries and whipped cream (check the shortcake emoji!).

3. Mexico – Feliz Navidad!

Christmas lovers out there who like to celebrate early – Mexico might just be the place for you. Christmas here is celebrated from December 12th to January 6th. From December 16th to Christmas Eve, children often perform the “Posada” processions where they celebrate the part of the Christmas story where Joseph and Mary seek a place to stay. Children are given candles and a board with painted figures of Mary on a donkey, and Joseph beside her, to walk around the street with and greet everyone at their homes with a song – super cute!

4. Russia – C рождеством!

Some people in Russia fast on Christmas Eve until the first star has appeared – then people eat “sochivo” or “kutia” – a porridge made from wheat or rice served with honey, poppy seeds, fruit, chopped walnuts, or fruit jellies.

5. New Zealand – Meri Kirihimete!

New Zealanders like to have a big barbecue for Christmas lunch, including ham slices, venison, or other exotic meats. What is really interesting though is their most popular present – “jandals,” which are a type of flip-flop/sandals, but the name comes from combining the words “Japanese” and “Sandals.”

6. Brazil – Feliz Natal!

Christmas customs here are similar to ones in the USA and the UK even though temperatures are quite different. Brazil has a very hot Christmas where most like to enjoy time on the beach (pretty unfair). Children sometimes leave a sock near a window, and if “Papai Noel” finds it, he’ll exchange that for a present! Adults also get what is called a “13th salary” at the end of the year where twice the normal amount of pay for that month is given.

Chloe likes freaking out over dogs on the street, eating, traveling, and lifting more than your boyfriend.