Play Review: A Great Many Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Play: A Great Many Women presented by Colliding Scopes Theatre

Date: March 12th 2016 at 2:00pm

Location: The Manse

Today was an extraordinarily beautiful day; the sun was shining, the air smelled of spring and I was on my way to see my friend, Sophia, perform an adaptation of the “Yellow Wallpaper” by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. The original story by Gilman was a short story and was published in 1892. It is contemporarily regarded as an important piece of feminist writing but at the period it was published in, was noted as a gothic horror story. The story depicts how being under stimulated effects the narrator’s mental health and she enters a state of psychosis, becoming obsessed with the “Yellow Wallpaper” in her home.

The play took place at St. Andrew’s Manse, which is a two story house that is built in the style of the early 18th and 19th centuries, so stepping inside is like entering a time portal. The wallpaper, the carpet and the furniture all reflected a different time. By one of the draped windows, where the sun tilted in towards the room, stood a figure dressed in white, with long veil layers and a burgundy skirt. I recognized her immediately as my friend, Sophia, but I didn’t speak or reach out to her. She was so entranced by the window; I knew immediately it was a part of the play. The room was filled with cut-outs of pieces of paper on the floor and on each paper were written words.

The play began almost immediately when the clock hit 2:00 pm and a woman rushed in the room and then back out. We were ushered by the only man in the assemble and he led us into the next room. It was instantly apparent that the play would have an interactive value, where it would be performed room to room and the audience had to follow. The actors were unaware of our presence (besides one of the actors, but no spoilers here!). Each scene unfolded with such charisma and explosiveness. The room was electric and I was transported into another era with each line delivered.

Each actor had a set of cards with their lines on them, being forced to read only what the cards said; a perfect adaption of the way that the women in Charlotte Perkins Gilman’s short story had to adhere to a certain role that society pressed upon them.

Overall, the play was an incredible adaption of the famous short story and its unique performance and innovative creativity was a joy to experience. I highly recommend anyone to see this exceptional perspective on women and the oppression of society. 

kylied

Queen's U

Kylie is a third year English Major at Queen's University.  Her interests are family,  pursing her dream career in Public Relations and coffee. In that order.