My Exchange in Australia: Top 5 Things to Know Before Heading Down Under

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

As a third-year student, I have long awaited my semester abroad! Growing up, my mom shared many fond memories from her travels in Australia. She spent a month in high school travelling down under and needless to say, her endless stories involving koalas and coastlines had me hooked. As a result, when I applied for exchange in second year, Australia was the only destination on my radar. Once I received my offer to Monash University in Melbourne for the fall semester I was beyond excited and could not wait for my journey to begin!

Having arrived in Melbourne mid-July of this year, I have now spent nearly three months here. I have absolutely no regrets on coming to Australia and have had an incredible time so far, however, the transition to life down under has been full of surprises. Like Canadians, Aussies are a unique kind of people and their way of life is equally interesting. Thriving on the other side of the world has come with a steep learning curve. If you are planning a trip or exchange to this wondrous place (which I highly recommend), I’ll share my top five things to know before you go!

Aussie English is a Bizarre Dialect

When I arrived in Australia, I assumed that since my first language was English and English is the official language of Australia, I’d have no trouble mingling with the locals. Boy was I wrong! The jargon of the Aussies is bizarre to say the least. To make your transition as seamless as possible, I’d recommend watching Youtube videos to learn the lingo. Aussies love to have fun and their choice of words reflect that. Beyond saying “G’day mate,” prepare to drop ‘righto’, ‘reckon’, ‘keen’, ‘Macca’s’, and ‘Sweet as’ on the daily.

The Animals are Cuter

I think we’re all familiar with the horror of poisonous snakes and spiders infesting the land of Aus. To mitigate the chance of a deadly encounter, I’d suggest never walking outside after dark! But, in all seriousness, the animals here should not be feared. Yes, there are dangerous creatures, but in reality, unless you’re strolling through the Outback – which is the remote side of Australia- you’re fairly safe within the major cities. Koalas and kangaroos are the animals that deserve the bulk of your attention. Australia is full of sanctuaries where you can get up close to these magnificent animals and even get a cuddle if you’re lucky. From feeling the softness of a Koala’s fur to seeing a Joey poke its’ head out from its’ mothers’ pouch, you’ll be plotting on how to smuggle one back to Canada in no time! So, if you venture down under, be aware of the dangerous, but be sure to embrace the native animals.  

Aussies Live Life in the Left Lane

Before hitting the streets in Australia, I was well aware that Aussies drive on the left side of the road. However, I wasn’t prepared for the total mind game of navigating the public transportation system and sidewalks. Yes, it may seem silly, but I had overlooked the fact that everything is flipped! On the way to my first Australian Football League game (A whole other experience in itself), I patiently waited 20 minutes for my train on the wrong side of the tracks. I found it odd that no one else was waiting with me, but I assumed everyone else just had other places to go. Needless to say, when the train arrived, everyone stepped on and I contemplated my entire life. But beyond public transport, sidewalks are also important territory. Sidewalks are like roadways, so be sure to walk on the left-hand side to avoid disapproving stares from locals.  

You Might Have to Break-Up with Your Favourite Foods

While Australian food isn’t vastly different from Canadian, upon my first visit to the grocery store I realized some notable differences. First and foremost, there is NO Kraft Peanut Butter down here. Aussies will fight you tooth and nail to prove that their “Bega” brand is the same as Kraft, but I can assure you, they’re living in a fool’s paradise! Fortunately, if you’re on the hunt for something to replace Kraft and slather over your bread, Vegemite is a classic Aussie offering. This tar like substance is best enjoyed spread as a thin layer on toast in combination with copious amounts of butter. The result is instant regret and a flavour that I can only describe as “salted trash!”. I’ve been told it’s an acquired taste, but I’m not too optimistic. My advice is to be open to the Aussie brands and keep an eye out for your favourites in a rebranded form. You can still enjoy Kellogg’s Rice Krispies but you’ll have to cope with the name “Rice Bubbles” plastered on the box instead.

Aussies Love Their Sports

Much like Canadians, Aussies enjoy a good sporting event! But you’ll have to forget about Hockey – the Canadian classic. With mention of hockey, Aussies will instantly ask if you’re referring to the ice or field variety. If you’re like myself and end up in Melbourne – the self-proclaimed “sporting capital of the world,” – prepare to be smothered by the Australian Football League (AFL). After attending my first game, I can only describe the sport as a confusing combination of soccer, rugby and possibly even Quidditch. My advice would be to not waste your time trying to understand the sport (unless you’re in Australia for the long-term), instead research the teams and choose yours wisely. Aussies don’t like to make friends with the enemy, and you can only play the neutral card for so long!

Jaelen List

Queen's U '21

Third-year Commerce major at Queen's University
HC Queen's U contributor