This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Setting your focus on reading more in the new year? Check out these book recommendations, or read along with me!

As the seasons change and the years pass me by, my love of reading is one thing that hasn’t slipped away over the years. While it grows increasingly complicated for me to set aside time to read for fun, it’s also really just that simple – all it takes is setting aside time. While I failed to get through my pre-planned monthly book club read with friends last year, I’ve once again chosen to take on that reading goal myself. If you’re looking for a read, or hope to integrate reading into your routines as I do, dive in and let me take on the job of hunting for a book for you. While I’ve linked the Indigo page for each book, I recommend trying to source these books locally at a book shop near you!

January – Ain’t I a Woman, bell hooks

This book is by the late bell hooks, who passed in December. Last year, I read her book, “All About Love” which truly changed my life by changing my perspectives and understandings on love through her wise and educated perspective. “Ain’t I a Woman” describes the intersectional experience of racism and sexism and its reflections throughout key defining moments for civil rights throughout history. 

February- Heart talk, Cleo Wade 

Ever since I heard Cleo Wade make a guest appearance on the Call Your Girlfriend podcast, I’ve been both inspired by her and a fan of her work. While I haven’t read one of her books to date, I’ve engaged with her social media for several years. I plan to change my understanding of her work this year, however, by diving into her book “Heart Talk” in honour of Love Month. 

March – Eat Pray Love, Elizabeth Gilbert

A pilgrimage to inspire as I enter my 23rd year in the month of March. In this autobiography, Elizabeth Gilbert retells the story of her journey of self-discovery across Italy, India, Indonesia. An avid traveller and wanderer myself, I anticipate I will greatly identify with Gilbert as I work my way through this read. 

April – Notes on a Nervous Planet, Matt Haig

I started this book last year, and am now circling back to finish it. As I struggle with heightened anxiety as a result of the pandemic myself, reading this book on how modern life feeds anxiety and learning to overcome it has been critical when it comes to making it through the seemingly never-ending pandemic. 

May – What Strange Paradise, Omar El Akkad

I received this book as a gift and can’t wait to dive in. This fictional novel is by a Canadian journalist and presents the refugee crisis through the eyes of two children, with rotating chapters sharing each child’s perspective. Published last summer, this book is still hot off the press.

June – Of Women and Salt, Gabriela Garcia

Getting into a fictional read for summer, this book tells the story of the relationship between a mother and daughter while reflecting upon their Cuban ancestral roots. 

July – Sapiens – A Brief History of Humankind, Yuval Noah Harari

Based on a recommendation from friends, I’m looking forward to this read to provide me with a unique understanding of human history. Based on a series of lectures, I’ve saved this read for the summer when I have time to digest it. 

August – It’s Not About the Burqa, Mariam Khan 

A find from a friend’s Instagram story, this book shares essays reflecting the often oppressed opinions of 17 Muslim women in their struggles within their community and homelands. I look forward to seeing how my own perspective will be enlightened through engaging with the perspectives presented by the girls in this book. 

September – The Good Sister, Sally Hepworth

Another fictional read, this book details the story of two sisters and a pregnancy that brings them together. 

October- Wild- Cheryl Strayed 

A second pilgrimage for the year to inspire through the fall, I first found Cheryl Strayed through her book titled, Tiny Beautiful ThingsWild is an autobiography of Strayed’s 1,100-mile hike along the Pacific Crest Trail in search of self-discovery. As I long to wander, hike, travel, and drive myself to all ends of the earth, this book should help me get my fill as I settle down to study in the cold winter months.

November – Too Much and Never Enough – Mary L Trump

I’ve been interested in reading this since a friend mentioned it to me a few months ago. This book is written by Mary L. Trump on her uncle, Donald Trump himself, and their family, reflecting on trauma, dysfunction and sadness that shaped the man the world knows too well. The tagline reading “How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man” is intriguing on its own.

December – You are a Badass, Jen Sicero

I always look forward to ending the year with a little inspirational read to encourage me as I plan for the year ahead. This book is divided into 27 short chapters to inspire, overcome self-sabotage, and encourage you to reshape your life into one you truly love. 

Lauren Zweerink

Queen's U '23

Lauren is a fourth year Political Studies student at Queen's University.