This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

It’s my favourite time of the year! The weather is crisp; the leaves are shades of red, orange, and yellow; Taylor Swift’s folklore is on repeat—it’s fall time. While I feel like it took way longer than usual for the weather to get cold, it’s finally time for my favourite fashion looks to come into play. So here are some of my favourite fall pieces that I’m looking forward to wearing all season long. 

1. Tight-Fitting Long-Sleeve Tops

More specifically, I have been so in love with the Babaton Contour Square Neck Bodysuit. These are the PERFECT type of fall top and are so easy to make an outfit look put together. Even when I wake up late for a lecture, I still want to look like I put at least a minute of thought into my outfit, so long-sleeve tops are ideal (I will also suggest if your goal is looking put together for those dreaded 8:30 lectures, try to plan your outfit the night before). Throw a long-sleeve on with a nice pair of jeans, and you’re good to go! Even with sweatpants—if you want a more comfortable look—the outfit still looks great. Long sleeves also allow for layering, which I’m such a sucker for. 

1. A Light Jacket

With autumn, we begin to get the strange weather of freezing in the morning and hot in the afternoon, making a light jacket your fall go-to. A light jacket is also your best friend on days when it’s like 8 degrees out and way too hot for a winter jacket, but if you go outside in just a long-sleeved top, you’ll freeze. I hate buying jackets just because they always end up being way more expensive than necessary, so don’t forget to check out the thrift store! I recently got the perfect early 2000s Lorelai Gilmore-esque leather jacket for $12.00! 

Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television
  1. Mini, Maxi, or Literally Any Skirt

Deciding to change things up a little and wear a skirt instead of a pair of pants can make a simple outfit more fun. Throw on a black skirt with some tights and any top, it really pulls an outfit together. Wear it with a sweater, a cute baby tee on a warmer day, or even the staple long-sleeve. I’m also obsessed with a maxi skirt with a cute oversized sweater, which has quickly become my favourite fall look. 

1. Dark Wash Flare Jeans 

Jeans are universal for all seasons, but if there is time to invest in a good pair of jeans, it’s now. My suggestion is to check the sales section of Levi’s (I find the actual store is better than their website for sales). They have so many standard jeans for like 60% off! I recently got the cutest jeans for $40 when they were regularly $100+. 

As for the dark-washed flares, I think they are the ideal style for autumn. Fall fashion seems to be darker tones and colours, so it’s the perfect time for this style of jeans (they’re also soooo giving Gilmore Girls).

1. Cardigans

You cannot possibly go into folklore season without a cardigan! They’re cute and you can throw them on top of any outfit for something extra. And if you get a good one, they can be so warm and cozy. 

The start of a new season is such a fantastic time to purchase a few new outfit pieces and I hope this list gives you some starting points. Now, it’s time for you to hop on Pinterest and find styles of these pieces that you’re into for some more personal inspiration. Good luck and happy shopping!

Victoria is a third-year Bachelor of Arts student at Queen's University studying English. She is also a lover of music, romcoms, Formula 1, and is always open to book recs!