How to Make the 2018-2019 School Year Your Best One Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

At the end of every summer, I have always told myself that I’m going to make this school year better than the last one. The problem is, when the school year comes around, I’ve always been too scared to try new things or meet new people because it involves stepping outside of my comfort zone. There are plenty of sources online such as Forbes Magazine and Ted Talks which outline the importance of being uncomfortable. They point out how it can benefit you greatly, and lead you to success. For that reason, I’ve decided to make a list of different ways that you can step outside of your comfort zone in the new school year, in order to hopefully make this year your best one yet.

1. Make a new acquaintance.

Strike up a conversation with the person you sit next to in tutorial or lecture. Ask them if they want to study together or be your partner for a group project, or even ask them if they want to go out with you on the weekend (pre-drinks can be an awesome place to meet a bunch of new people!).

2. Try out for or join a club / group on campus.

If it will help, convince one of your friends to join it with you, but don’t let that limit you when trying to talk to other people in the club. Doing this can be awesome for finding people who share similar interests to you, while expanding your social circles.

3. Attend a new non-school related event.

There are tons of events both on campus and off-campus, such as Trivia Night or Karaoke, and it’s super easy to find more events on Facebook. Even if it’s something you think could be lame, try it out once because you could end up having an awesome time.

4. Introduce yourself to one of your professors.

This is one I’ve personally always struggled with because it makes me SUPER uncomfortable, but it can also be one of the most beneficial things you do in your university career. Building a good relationship with a professor can be extremely important as they can provide you with a reference for future employment or education!

Finally, if any of these seem too daunting for you, you can step outside of your comfort zone in even smaller ways. For example, you could wear something you usually wouldn’t to school, sit somewhere new in class, or even try cooking yourself a new recipe for dinner. You may be surprised at how the smallest changes in your everyday routine can make the biggest difference in your school year.

Eirinn Chisholm

Queen's U '21

My name is Eirinn and I'm 21 years old. Thank you for checking out my writing here on Her Campus :)