Wellness

Transitioning your Skincare Routine from Summer to Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Happy October, HC readers! Though fall fashion is often hyped (and for good reason), one thing we tend to overlook is fall-specific skincare.

As the leaves turn and temperatures drop, we don’t just have to change our wardrobes—we have to change our skincare routines as well, adapting to the new skin stressors of the dry air and cold temperatures.

Here are some tips to keep your skin soft, hydrated, and glowing well into the fall and winter months!

1. Apply your products to damp skin.

A super easy way to maximize the impact of your skincare products and keep your skin hydrated is by applying products to wet skin. This can be as easy as applying your skincare right after you shower or wash your face.

Though applying skincare products within the warm and humid environment of your bathroom post-shower is a great idea and as low-maintenance as it gets in terms of (not) having to purchase or store new products, it doesn’t work for everyone. Shelf space in student housing can be limited and glass bottles can be perilous in slippery hands. (Yikes!)

If you don’t want to apply your skincare products immediately after your shower, fear not—you have options! It can be as simple as filling a spray bottle with water and keeping it on your dresser. (Bonus sustainability points if you rinse out and re-use an empty bottle you already have. Bonus skincare points, if you can use distilled water, as tap water can have dissolved minerals which can interact with your skincare products). If you’re in the mood for luxury and have the means, French thermal waters that come in spray cans from brands like Avene have a mist-fine spray that feels cooling and spa-like. Moving onto our next step, it’s especially important to have damp skin.

Medicine cabinet packed full of skincare products
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media

2. Consider layering your skincare products.

Layering clothes is key to surviving the autumn, providing you with the versatility to change the coverage you want based on temperature. You can add warmth to an outfit, heck, you can even just add style.

Did you know you can layer your skincare too?

When you hear the word “toner,” what do you think of? Maybe an annoying message that comes up about your printer ink…or maybe the harsh, stripping, and astringent toners that were advertised in magazines and 30-second commercials when you were a kid.

However, toners these days have little in common with printer ink and with the astringent toners of the past.

Toners from many Asian (and some Western) skincare brands now focus on hydrating or restoring water to the skin. You might mix up dry and dehydrated skin or think they are the same thing, but they are distinct. Dry skin lacks oil, whereas dehydrated skin lacks water. You could have one, both, or neither!

One caveat: humectants like hyaluronic acid and glycerin can only draw water into your skin when there is water in the external environment. The sweaty humidity of the summer months or the Equator? Brilliant. The dry air of Canada in October and recycled radiator heating? Less brilliant.

However, there is a simple solution: apply humectants to damp skin and (preferably) within a humid environment (like your bathroom after a shower).

When layering your skincare products, a good rule of thumb is to go from thinnest to thickest. Begin with lightweight toners with runny consistencies then work your way up to thicker, creamier toners and finally your moisturizing lotions and creams.

When layering products, you might consider adding a final occlusive layer to your skincare routine. “Slugging,” or applying a layer of Vaseline or another thick ointment to your skin, was a popular TikTok hack last year. Here are some tips on making the most of your layering:

Vaseline on its own cannot moisturize: it is occlusive, so it locks moisture into your skin, but it is not an emollient. Alone, it does not add moisture to your skin. So, pair Vaseline with your favourite moisturizer and use it as a final layer!

Be aware of your skin type. Some people experience milia (small bumps on the skin) and breakouts after using Vaseline so be wary if you have more sensitive or less dry skin.

In general, when layering, remember the following 3 key components:

Humectants: draw moisture into the skin. (Examples: glycerin, hyaluronic acid. You’ll likely find these ingredients in your moisturizers but they really shine in products like toners, facial mists, and essences!)

Emollients: add moisture to the skin.

Occlusives: seal (lock) moisture into the skin. (Examples: Vaseline, Aquaphor.)

The ideal layering skincare combo will look different for everyone based on your skin type and your skin goals but it will likely combine these 3 elements.

3. Ease back on actives!

Though active products like retinol, Vitamin C, and alpha hydroxy acids (like lactic acid and glycolic acid) can undoubtedly be powerhouses toward achieving a radiant complexion, they can also irritate your skin and compromise your skin’s acid mantle. The acid mantle helps your skin retain moisture and protect itself. You might hear it referred to as your “moisture barrier”! When the fall and winter months can sensitize your skin with drier air and harsher temperatures, consider cutting back the frequency you use actives. For example, scaling back daily use to a few times a week. You’ll maintain your results without agitating your skin and risking irritation.

unseen suncreen?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Sephora

4. Don’t ditch your SPF just yet!

Though the sun’s presence is less obvious in the colder months, the UV rays that can damage and prematurely age our skin (not to mention increase our risk of melanoma) persist. Stay consistent with your SPF routine: your skin health and your dermatologist will thank you.

Having a consistent skincare routine is one great way to practice mindful self-care and when my skin is calm, I always feel more excited and ready to face the rest of the exciting changes of the fall season. You can find me on an autumn walk admiring the foliage or sipping a chai latte in the Grocery Basket loft with my earphones in and SPF on!

Mariel Matsuda

Queen's U '22

I switched my major from Psychology to English Lit after three years because I realized I was better at reading books than I was at reading people. Big fan of puff-sleeved dresses, good-quality olive oil, and studying to movie soundtracks.