This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Just because you’re going solo, it doesn’t mean you can’t treat yourself.

legally blonde icky valentines day?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
MGM

It’s Valentine’s Day, and you’re single… Let’s face it: we’ve all been there.

Society has made Valentine’s Day seem like the most dreaded holiday of the year if you’re single. While everyone else is out with their dates, you are at home, enjoying a box of chocolates and watching sappy romance movies.

This doesn’t have to be the case. In fact, I think this is a pretty outdated view of Valentine’s Day for those who are celebrating the season of love, single.

It’s important to remember that Valentine’s Day is the day of love. During this holiday, we often forget that there are so many more types of love to be shared than just romantic love.

We all have platonic relationships, a relationship with ourselves and those dear to us. Perhaps we love the people and nature around us, or our fur-babies (if you’ve got one at home).

The world around us is essentially full of love, but we are denied this fact if it is not coming from a romantic relationship. This Valentine’s Day, instead of focusing on those around you in relationships, you can focus on all the things that you love and that make you happy!

Emma Keyes

Queen's U '24

Emma is studying English Language and Literature at Queen's University. She enjoys the arts, and is a sucker for all things romantic.