This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

My entire life, I’ve always wanted to foster an animal. Whether it was a dog or a cat, I didn’t care. I just wanted to be able to help an animal in need while also gaining experience in owning a pet – I wanted to make sure this sort of commitment was right for me!

Then, 4th year of University hits and my housemates and I decided we should foster a cat! Fostering a dog would be too much of a commitment (especially as students) and cats are free to do whatever they want. So, we decided to fill out an application to foster a cat — even if it was just for a little while!

I’ll admit, I was really hesitant about cats before I met our foster. I’ve never really had any interactions with them — all my preconceived notions came from what I saw on the Internet and horror stories from owners online.

Enter our foster cat, Stone! A shy yet friendly little guy BUT SO CUTE. I’d say he was just as scared of me as I was of him. And the more I was around Stone, the more I tried to step out of my comfort zone. Whether that was through picking him up or just playing with him in general. I wanted to feel comfortable, and I wanted him to feel comfortable too!

About a few weeks in, I started to get really attached to Stone and began to contemplate whether adopting him would be a good decision on my part. I didn’t want to promise him a life I couldn’t afford or commit to the responsibility of a pet without considering my schedule and future. I knew I could give him the love he deserves – but some days, it’s so hard to take care of myself, I didn’t want him to feel neglected AT ALL.

So, I made a pros and cons list – trying to consider the finances, the type of commitment, etc., and what it takes to own a cat. Many people I’ve talked to before told me that cats are not as high-maintenance as dogs, so I tried to ask other cat owners I knew. I wanted some guidance because I didn’t want my decision to be based on impulse or emotional attachment.

After a lot of deliberating, I ended up adopting him! And let me tell you, it was one of the best decisions of my life! As anyone is at the start, I was really nervous about if I was doing things right. And to be quite honest, I’m still learning. Being a first-time pet owner is really challenging and sometimes you can feel really lost. But that’s normal!

Currently, I’m raising Stone with my best friends! And I’m ready to take him along on my weird journeys, or wherever life decides to take me. 

If you’re thinking of fostering or adopting a pet – check out your local humane society! Adopt don’t shop!

Mehak Narula

Queen's U '22

Mehak Narula is a fourth-year student studying Linguistics and German Studies at Queen's University. In her free time, you can catch her watching anime, drawing, and buying (overpriced) coffee!