This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that shopping for books is the single greatest way to spend an afternoon. Especially in the fall season, nothing beats heading over to your local Indigo and perusing the aisles for an hour or two (or four, in my case). Here are some of my favourite reads as of late—add them to your To-Be-Read (TBR) list of books, make yourself a steaming cup of tea, and enjoy!

1. Book Lovers by Emily Henry

4/5 stars

Emily Henry has a knack for writing the most trope-filled, witty, and whimsical rom-coms you could possibly find on the New York Times Bestsellers List. This story follows cutthroat book editor Nora Stephens as she takes her first vacation in years, and all the (mis)adventures that take place along the way. Venturing from the Big Apple to the sleepy, small town of Sunshine Falls, Nora and her sister Libby devise a plan to have the most perfect book-worthy vacation ever: they make a list of activities they HAVE to check off before their month-long stay is over, including saving a local business and going on a date with someone new. However, Nora’s plans are turned upside-down when rival book editor Charlie Lastra suddenly shows up in Sunshine Falls… For anyone looking for the perfect enemies-to-lovers rom-com, this book is for you!

2. I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

5/5 stars

As someone who constantly has her nose in a book, I am not over-exaggerating when I say that this was one of the best books I’ve read in years. I Am the Messenger starts off with a bang—literally—as 19-year-old Ed Kennedy finds himself in the middle of a bank robbery. Chaos ensues as Ed is blackmailed into completing a series of tasks by an unknown mastermind, who only gives Ed his next job by writing it on a playing card. However, these tasks aren’t ill-intentioned nor are they easy. With themes of helping others and becoming a better person, and penned by the renowned author of The Book Thief, this book’s characters are deeply flawed, heartbreakingly funny, and unwaveringly authentic. I can’t recommend this book enough—truly one of the best books I’ve ever read!

3. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

4/5 stars

Despite claiming that I always have my nose in a book, a Harry Potter book was never one of them—until now! Switch up your usual rereading of the classic story by listening to the free chapter-by-chapter audiobook, available on Spotify. Perfect for those crisp fall morning coffee walks!

4. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

3.5/5 stars

Cliche-but-important disclaimer: the book is way better than the movie. Delia Owens’ renowned story of ‘the Marsh Girl’ captivated audiences, and recently was made into a film produced by Reese Witherspoon. Filled with chosen family, class and racial relations, odes to nature, and the sinister murder of a small North Carolina town’s beloved quarterback, this book is sure to have something for everyone.

5. Verity by Colleen Hoover

4.5/5 stars

Another disclaimer: I finished this book in less than five hours. Aside from blowing up on TikTok, many of Colleen Hoover’s novels have gained popularity for their recurring themes of passionate love and all-consuming lust. However, Verity is slightly different—it centres around one of the most complex, captivating, and downright creepy murder mysteries that I’ve ever read. Full of twists and turns until the end, both the reader and the main character are never quite sure who they can trust. Once I picked this book up, it was virtually impossible to put down.

Bookworm season is back—now go get your hands on these books and enjoy!

Molly Robertson

Queen's U '25

Molly is a second-year psychology student studying at Queen's University. When she's not at CoGro, you can find Molly listening to the Lumineers, trying to decide on her next tattoo, or spending all her money on coffee.