Embracing Struggle: Everything Is “Good For The Plot!”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Hey y’all, I have a new mantra. I’m not exaggerating when I tell you that these simple words have altered the trajectory of my life…

“At least it’s good for the plot!”

I hear you asking, what does that mean?

It means that when life hands you lemons, you should reach for the salt and tequila (or make lemonade, if that’s more your style.) It’s all about putting a positive spin on tough situations. When I find myself in a pickle, I don’t spiral into negativity—I start thinking about how I’m gonna tell the hilarious story to my friends later. Every challenge I encounter will make the narrative even more exciting!

DVF\'s Own It: The Secret to Life book
Phaidon

If I just took the worst exam of my life? It was good for the plot. I missed the bus and now I have to walk 45 minutes home? Good for the plot (and my glutes). I found out my house is infested with rodents? The plot thickens!

Imagine your life is a TV show and every year is a new season. The cast changes over time; friends, bosses, partners and roommates all come and go. Even the set will change as you move from new apartments to new cities and beyond. But what stays consistent through it all is the main character: you! When you struggle, imagine the audience eating it up. The harder the situation gets, the better the payoff will be. Even boring episodes are good for the plot—you need some filler to manage the pace.

I enjoy a healthy amount of delusion in my day-to-day, but if imagining your entire life as a sitcom doesn’t appeal to you, that’s okay too. A psychology professional would tell you the “good for the plot” effect is actually just Positive Reframing. The bottom line is to train yourself to be optimistic: find something to be grateful for or a lesson to glean from the situation. If all else fails, you can laugh at how ridiculous life is sometimes.

It’s super helpful. It can’t fix the immediate challenge you’re facing, but telling myself that problems are “good for the plot” makes me giggle and helps me face them with a smile.

HC Queen's U contributor