This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

The beginning of September brings back-to-school, pumpkin-spiced everything, the ever-so fluctuating weather, and of course a new season on the rise. As a big fan of both autumn and a killer playlist, new music for every season is absolutely ESSENTIAL to my lifestyle. If I’m listening to a playlist without the songs I love, I lose all motivation to do anything. Think about going to the gym and finding that perfect mix of songs to get you through the final stretch of your workout — that feeling is what we need all semester long. Let’s make the perfect fall playlist.

The very first thing I like to do is visit Pinterest. While it’s easy to throw together a ton of songs together and call it a day, I like to find some kind of inspiration or guideline for the overall vibe of the playlist. When it comes to autumn, I’m looking for light/dark academia, cozy, and cute photos. My favourite one will quickly become the Spotify album cover of the “fall 22” playlist. So, find some photos that remind you of the fall time to match that vibe for your playlist.

Next, I’ll reference some old fall playlists or just old playlists in general and find some of my favourite songs that I’m excited to listen to over the next few months. I recently discovered the band Caamp which creates more folkish, calming music that is the definition of fall for me. But of course, we all have different, personal memories of the season along with different interpretations of the feelings autumn brings, so try and select some songs that go along with those feelings.

A few songs that will be on my own fall playlist include:

• the 1, illicit affairs, and the lakes by Taylor Swift
  • Apple Tree Blues by Caamp
  • There She Goes by The La’s
  • Someone New and Jackie and Wilson by Hozier

Once I have a selection of songs I already know, I will spend the next 3-4 months adding more new songs I discover over the fall time! I tend to find these new songs through Spotify suggested playlists such as “Discover Weekly” or “Release Radar”. I’ll also look at other playlists by friends and people I follow on Spotify who have interesting playlist names or just an overall good vibe to their Spotify.

Personally, my absolute favourite part about making new playlists every season is growing attached to some of these new songs and being able to reference them later in life. As I listen to my fall 2021 playlist, I love associating all of those songs with the memories of that time. Starting my first year at Queen’s, Halloween, and meeting new friends are just a few of the amazing memories that come back to me as I listen to my old fall playlists.

As we all get to look forward to the new memories that come with each new season, get ready to make your brand new playlists and remember these moments forever!

Victoria is a third-year Bachelor of Arts student at Queen's University studying English. She is also a lover of music, romcoms, Formula 1, and is always open to book recs!