This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Being a broke college student, the holidays are fun but also daunting, as it comes with presents, trips and things that are just plain expensive. So this is my guide for you to do something sweet for yourself during exam season to start celebrating the holidays.

Get an advent calendar 

Advent Calendars are a great way to make yourself feel special everyday, especially during exams. They can come with chocolate, makeup and many other things They can range from the cheaper to the more expensive so you can always find one in your specific price range.

Watch holiday movies

Usually if I wanna feel like I’m in the holiday spirit I’ll tune into some of the new Christmas movies on netflix. They are great study breaks that allows you to destress. Some include the Christmas Prince, A Charlie Brown Christmas and more. These movies are fun to watch alone and tend to be short.

Buying a pair of comfy socks and just listening to Christmas music

You can buy some good cozy socks for cheap at either the dollar store or other less expensive clothing stores. The Kingston winters are pretty cold, and even in slippers my feet freeze. Wearing cozy socks and listening to music while  cooking for example is very fun. Get your friends in on it makes it ten times better.

Ice skating behind City Hall

Ice Skating is a fun acitivity, even though I am very bad at it . You can rent skates for a decent price and have a great time with friends!

Amanda Neves

Queen's U '22

Amanda Neves is a second year student at Queen's University hoping to major in History or Politics that loves absurd amounts of chicken nuggets, traveling and any fluffy animals. Originally from the U.S and Brazil, she grew up in five different countries and is trilingual. She hopes to go to law school or grad school (or both!) after her undergrad.
HC Queen's U contributor