Celebrating Black Voices In Literature Beyond Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Embracing Black voices should be a year-round journey, not confined to February’s Black History Month. Literature serves as a powerful medium for sharing and understanding the rich tapestry of Black experiences and narratives. Diving into the pages crafted by Black authors has opened my eyes to the diverse struggles and victories within the community, spanning genres from heart-stirring romance to imaginative fantasy and insightful non-fiction. As an avid reader, I’m excited to share some of the most compelling reads by Black authors that have left a lasting impact on me.

1. “Nightcrawling” by leila mottley

A raw and compelling narrative, “Nightcrawling” is inspired by true events and set against the backdrop of Oakland, California. It chronicles the story of a young Black woman who finds herself “stuck between street and gutter” in attempting to provide for herself and her brother. Leila Mottley’s debut, penned when she was just 16, offers a poignant exploration of sexual exploitation and the fight for survival, showcasing her exceptional storytelling prowess.

2. “The heaven and earth grocery store” by james mcbride

Highlighted as one of Barack Obama’s top picks of 2023, this novel takes us into the lives of Moshe and Chona, a Jewish couple in a predominantly Black neighborhood. James McBride masterfully weaves a tale of music, community, and the bridges built between cultures, offering profound insights into the histories of slavery and immigration through his characters’ eyes. This story resonated with me deeply, especially given my own upbringing in a largely white community.

3. “Seven days in june” by tia williams

Celebrating the spectrum of Black literature, “Seven Days in June” is a captivating romance that rekindles the flame between Eva and Shane, two writers, after years apart. Tia Williams skillfully balances the narrative between acknowledging the collective challenges faced by the Black community and uplifting Black joy. Her depiction is a refreshing reminder of the happiness that coexists with struggle, providing a nuanced perspective on Black lives.

4. “the fifth season” by NK jemisin

N.K. Jemisin transports readers to a fantastical world reminiscent of ancient Egypt, primarily populated by Black characters. “The Fifth Season” intricately connects the tales of three women navigating a land plagued by environmental catastrophes. Jemisin’s unique background as a Black woman in the predominantly white male fantasy genre enriches her storytelling, offering a fresh take on authority and power dynamics. Her trilogy is a must-read for fans of fantasy and magical realism, offering a distinctive lens through which to view the genre.

While this list barely scratches the surface of the incredible works by Black authors, my hope is that it inspires you to explore these narratives and many more during Black History Month and beyond. Black literature widens the scope of how Black communities have been written about throughout history. I urge you to delve into these books and discover the profound insights and diverse perspectives they offer. Let’s celebrate Black authors not just this month, but every month.

Charlotte Naudie

Queen's U '24

Hey! My name is Charlotte, and I'm currently in my fourth year of Political Studies at Queen's University in Canada! I hope to graduate in 2024 with my BAH and then head to Law school in the fall. Outside of university, I love to read, run, and binge reality TV during my weekends.