Campus Celebrity: Stephen J. R. Smith

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

The Queen’s School of Business doesn’t exist anymore. Well, not by that name anyways. As of October 1st 2015, it’s now called the Stephen J.R. Smith School of Business at Queen’s University. Why the sudden change? Because of an extremely generous donation by our Campus Celebrity – Mr. Stephen Smith. 

A fellow alumnus, Mr.Smith graduated in 1972 with a Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering. Since then, he’s been heavily involved with the business world by being the co-founder, chairman, and CEO of First National Financial Corp, the largest non-bank lender of residential/commercial mortgages. 

So how much did he donate? $50,000,000. And yes, those are the right amount of zeros, so if you’re looking to have a school named after you, keep adding to your piggy bank gals! 

Where’s all that money going, you ask? Sadly Goodes won’t be opening any more Starbucks outlets so the line won’t get any shorter, but 2/3 of the funds will be to support faculty chairs and research, and the remaining third allocated to scholarships for MBA students. 

A big thank you to Mr.Smith, Cha Gheill!

Queen's University, class of 2017 Psychology major and Health Studies minor