Campus Celebrity: Natasha Talwar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

This week, I had the opportunity to chat with my good friend and co-chair of World Vision Queen’s, Natasha Talwar. Natasha is a third year Life Science student who is an avid traveller and self-proclaimed “gastronaut”. When she’s not busy running World Vision events, you can probably find her eating cake at CoGro or binge watching the latest Shonda Rhimes Show. Once you really get to know her, you’ll realize that she loves to send her friends “scholarly” articles from her favourite, reliable news source: Buzzfeed. Let’s learn a little more.

Q: How did you become involved with World Vision?

A: During the first week of school I went to the Tricolour Fair with my floor friends. I came across the World Vision booth and became very intrigued. I’m really passionate about helping out those who are less fortunate so I decided to take a chance and apply to be a frosh representative. Last year, I was Marketing Director and now I’m Co-Chair.

Q: What has been the highlight of your experience with World Vision?

A: My favourite event each year has to be the Polar Bear Dip. At the beginning of November we organize an event where teams can sign up to jump off the pier. We have hot chocolate, prizes and games for all those who participate. Last year, we even rented a polar bear costume and had our frosh reps walk around campus. They would go into the caf and play ping pong with students in Lazy. It generated a lot of buzz and we had a great turnout at the event. We’re so excited for this year’s event, which will be on November 7th. For anyone who can brave the cold, or just wants to help out a good cause, we challenge you to do the dip!

Q: How can students become involved with World Vision?

A: As our fall hiring period has already passed, we are no longer adding to our executive team. However, we are looking for volunteers who are interested in World Vision, but might not have the time to take on an executive position. Volunteers will help with promoting and executing all of our events. If volunteering isn’t for you, we’d love to see you at our fundraising events. There’s something for everyone!

Q: I have to ask, what is a “gastronaut”?

A: It’s a person with a keen appreciation for food. Basically, a super obnoxious way to say foodie. I learnt it from Bobby Flay.

Q: As a gastronaut, tell us about the best meal you ever had.

A: Impossible.

Q: Okay, tell us about the best meal you ever cooked.

A: This summer, I decided to procrastinate my MCAT studying and try to replicate something from my idol chefs. So I pulled up Jamie Oliver’s website and looked for a recipe that was within my abilities. After hours of trying to decide on a recipe I finally landed on fish tacos. I made cilantro-lime tilapia tacos with pineapple relish and avocado crema. I must’ve done well because my family actually went for seconds!

Q: Sounds delicious. Any final advice for first years?

A: Get involved with something that you’re interested in. I know it’s what everyone says but it’s a great way to meet people and take a break from school. Also, don’t be fooled by the Salisbury “steak” in the caf. It’s not real.

Diane Wu

Queen's U

Queen's University, class of 2017 Psychology major and Health Studies minor