This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Finding time to read for pleasure can be difficult. Life becomes busy and we tend to push aside things that aren’t thought of as ‘mandatory’. Except, self-care—or even simply taking the time to do things that give you pleasure—should still be a priority in your life. For book lovers, post-secondary can really diminish the time available for readings that are not a requirement for class. No more are the nights where you binge read a whole book. It’s now turned into short moments on the bus, a quick glance before class starts and maybe a few pages of reading as you have dinner. It’s really important, however, that you take the time to have a break and read for pleasure for both your mental health and overall productivity.

Let me introduce to you the world of Goodreads. If you haven’t heard of this site before, it’s a great community and space for book lovers of all types. If you’re a book enthusiast, this app is especially favourable for you in order to help manage your reading time. If you’re still not sure whether you should create an account, continue reading below for all the enticing features Goodreads has to offer!

Yearly Reading Challenge 

Goodreads motivates you to read by having a reading challenge for the year. It helps to keep track of all the books you read and creates a countdown for your selected goal. The challenge gives an incentive for you to continue reading in order to see your goal reached by the end of the year. Afterwards, you’re able to look back on all the different adventures you took part in through your Goodreads challenge.

hard back books
Sarah Pflug

Bookshelves Upon Bookshelves

Goodreads has an easy way to organize the books you read: bookshelves. Specifically, your three main shelves are Currently Reading, Want to Read, and Read. However, you can create as many shelves as you would like such as Romance, Fantasy, Horror, Didn’t Finish, etc.,. 

Not to mention, there’s also a scan feature to easily put your books on a shelf to save for later. You’ll no longer need to take continuous pictures in the bookstore of all the books you want to read.

The bookshelf detail allows you to keep your book recommendations organized and easily accessible. I know for myself, there are times that I’ve been asked for a book recommendation and I completely blank on all the captivating books I’ve read. With the Goodreads app, however, I’m now able to simply go to my recommendation shelf and suggest the books I absolutely loved. 

Additionally, do you ever read a book that you’re so passionate about and just need to tell someone about it? Well, once you finish a book and mark it as Read, you are able to write a review and give a rating! You can look at other people’s reviews too and discuss back and forth about the book!

picking a book
Photo by Christin Hume from Unsplash

Listopia Sanctuary!

Goodreads has a vast amount of book recommendations just waiting for you to choose from. More specifically, they have multiple ways for you to find the right book to read! Essentially, it’s a big listopia! You want a certain book list, they have it! The major heartthrob romances, best action adventure novels, best travel narratives, etc. You can vote for as many books as you want within the listopia and are able to create your own list for others to vote on too. There’s also a section for new releases each month and year to keep you up to date on all the new content coming out. You can even find out the weekly trends among other Goodreads users!

poetry book & tea
Pexels

A Book Lovin’ Community

Goodreads creates a great sense of community among readers! Connect with your friends—or make new ones—and see what they’re reading. There are also multiple reading groups which you can be a part of. Participating in an active book club is another strong method to keep you accountable for your reading! The site even gives you the opportunity to connect with all your beloved authors (I’m friends with Meg Cabot)! You’re able to see their latest updates, what they’re reading and any upcoming books they may have. Goodreads makes sure you’re always kept in the loop!

Unsplash

Free Books

If you’re not already convinced to get Goodreads, then this’ll do it! The site participates in free book giveaways! Who doesn’t love to receive free books? It’s a great way to widen your reading selection and help support new and upcoming authors! All you have to do is enter your shipping address and you’re entered in the giveaway!

Anthony Tran
Anthony Tran / Unsplash
So what are you waiting for? Make yourself a Goodreads account and immerse yourself in the book lovers’ world!

Erica Labriola

Queen's U '21

Erica Labriola is studying English Literature and Psychology at Queen’s University. She loves reading, F.R.I.E.N.D.S, and oat matcha lattes (with extra vanilla).
HC Queen's U contributor