Her Campus Logo Her Campus Logo

Are you looking to add yet another distraction to your life to ensure a state of continued procrastination during these last few stressful weeks of the semester? Me too – let’s look to Netflix!

Just a quick disclaimer: these amazing shows will provide you with great entertainment, but they may also lead to you neglecting all school responsibilities and retreating into an isolated hibernation in sweatpants.

Queer Eye

This show is all the rage right now, and for good reason! It is refreshingly optimistic, funny, lighthearted, and simply addictive. The premise is simple enough: a team of five gay men who also happen to be best friends drive around to small American towns and make over straight men. It sounds a little shallow, but it is truly about so much more than physical appearance. This show demonstrates how a little self-care and the re-building of confidence can truly reform someone’s life for the better, and bring out their full potential. The show also explores relevant topics within society today such as racism, religious tension towards homosexual identities, and political differences, providing some interesting commentary on these uphill battles.

The Frankenstein Chronicles

Being a total English literature and history nerd with a slight fascination for the grotesque, I grew absolutely fascinated with this show. Set back in early nineteenth century London and playing loosely off of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein novel, this show immersed me in a completely separate reality; the never-ending suspense was thrilling! This show offers a fresh take on a classic novel and incorporates other famous Romantic era figures into the drama. However, if blood and gore are off limits for you, I suggest you steer clear of this one.

Broadchurch

Do you want to witness amazing acting performances? Check. Do you like gazing upon the beautiful scenery of England’s coastal countryside? Check. Do you get hooked by shocking plot turns and authentic character development? Check. Honestly, this show can be quite sad and gut wrenching at times, but it is so worth the watch. Broachchurch is well done in every possible way. Starring the wonderful David Tennant and Olivia Colman, this murder mystery show will have you questioning every character and keep you on your toes.

Jane the Virgin

This show is such a fun, quirky, and feel-good series. Playing off of the format and dramatic allure of Telenovelas, Jane the Virgin follows the incredible life events of a series of lovable characters. This show is so charming because it genuinely does not take itself too seriously. You will find yourself giggling and smiling 80 percent of the time, and the other 20 percent will surely be pulling on your heartstrings.

Making a Murderer

If you’ve already stayed up all night to binge-watch this documentary, the experience likely lead to a cry for justice, ended with an emotional breakdown at the realization of just how messed up this world can be. This show is evidently controversial and problematic, but there’s no denying that it will suck you in and keep you engaged. I stayed up until four in the morning with my dad when this documentary first came out on Netflix and we watched all of the episodes in one sitting like couch potatoes. We could not bring ourselves to turn off the TV, as it became absolutely crucial to discover what would unfold in the next series of events.

The OA

I can’t satisfactorily describe this show in a meager paragraph. Simply put, it is one of the few series I’ve ever watched that had me feeling every authentic emotion existing within me colliding together all at once. This show deeply connected with me spiritually, emotionally, and mentally. It’s a little bit surrealist (and it’s not everyone’s cup of tea) but I guarantee that if you give it a chance, it will take you on a pretty cool journey.

Mindhunter

If psychological crime thrillers get your blood pumping, I highly suggest you check this one out. This show is set back in the ’70s during the initial grounding of a Behavioural Science Unit within the FBI, and the costuming and set design are wickedly accurate. The show is pretty shocking and twisted, and not for the faint of heart. However, if there is something inside of you that is fascinated by the darker elements of criminology, sociology, and psychology, then this show will be right up your alley.

These are a just a few shows that I’ve personally enjoyed out of so many options; Netflix seems to offer something binge-worthy for everyone! Get your popcorn popping and happy watching!

Hi there! I'm a 4th year English Literature and Drama student at Queen's University. I hope you enjoy my articles! 
Similar Reads👯‍♀️