This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

With the new semester beginning and everything suddenly getting stressful and hard, I often curl up in bed with a million blankets and watch any true crime media I can get my hands on. Documentaries are one of my particular favourites, plus many of them are available on Netflix. So grab some snacks, get a good pair of headphones (because your housemates may get worried if they hear the word murder too often in one afternoon) and get ready to be fascinated.

Abducted in Plain Sight

What do aliens, Mormons and Mexico have in common? This case, at least. This documentary details the case of Jan Broberg, who was kidnapped TWICE (yes, TWICE) and abused by the same man. It goes through the story including court cases and what happened to her family. It’s a stunning documentary where most of the players are speaking about this crazy sequence of events for the first time, displaying intense emotions.

The Keepers

This documentary is one that made me rethink everything I knew. The Keepers focuses on the murder of Sister Kathy Cesnik in the late ‘60s. Sister Kathy was an admired teacher at a catholic school and disappeared in 1969. A group of amazing women started investigating and uncovered a large scale sexual abuse problem with a priest at the same school. The documentary manages to give Sister Kathy a voice and interest to her case, but talk about the sexual abuse that she may have been trying to confront.

Amanda Knox

I’ll admit that, at first, I only watched this because we share the same first name. But imagine being wrongly imprisoned for years in a foreign country for a crime you didn’t commit. This documentary details the case from Amanda’s perspective and many of the investigators, showing the inside of what happened and why.

Conversation with a Killer, The Ted Bundy Tapes

Ted Bundy is so creepy to me because he seemed so normal to all. Plus he escaped from prison MANY times. This documentary allows for a full look into Bundy and his crimes, as well as the treatment he received from the media. The ending was crazy which you’ll understand after you hear what the judge’s statement says. People, if ANYONE asks you to go to their car for help, RUN.

The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann

The case of Madeleine McCann still remains unsolved, which drives me crazy. This documentary shows everything that happened and features many people who were involved. Madeleine McCann was a 3-year-old girl who was kidnapped in Portugal in 2007, and the resulting events created a media circus. It shows the parent’s investigation, all the possible suspects, and the twists and turns that leave you craving for the answer.

Amanda Neves

Queen's U '22

Amanda Neves is a second year student at Queen's University hoping to major in History or Politics that loves absurd amounts of chicken nuggets, traveling and any fluffy animals. Originally from the U.S and Brazil, she grew up in five different countries and is trilingual. She hopes to go to law school or grad school (or both!) after her undergrad.
HC Queen's U contributor