This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Over reading week, I got to visit some friends I’ve known since elementary school, and spending time with them reminded me of how much I value my friendships. Whether it’s some of the amazing friends I’ve made at university or the friends I’ve known for years, I share such a special connection with each of these people in my life. After reflecting, I began feeling sentimental and wondered why I hadn’t taken the time to appreciate my friends. 

Although something as simple as friendship may seem like a natural part of life, it shouldn’t go unappreciated. I believe that reminiscing on the memories made with those special people in your life is so important.

Although we might not get to see our hometown/childhood friends often, it’s comforting to know that you have friends who understand how you grew up and how you’ve grown as a person. I’ve known some of my friends for 13 years; spending time together and growing together creates a bond that is quite unmatched. These friendships were built upon some of the dumbest moments and silliest jokes but have carried on to develop and grow throughout my 20s. Since coming to university, more than ever, I have been grateful to have friends who have seen me through my journey thus far and will continue to be in my life for a long time. 

My first year of university was filled with a lot of emotions. Facing such a new environment on my own was very intimidating. However, my roommates and the friends I made along the way are some of the most genuine and kind people I have ever met. They have always made me feel comfortable. Getting to spend my day-to-day with these special people has brought so much joy to my life. I remember all of the times we’ve helped edit each other’s work, went to the gym or even ran around campus after class together. The jokes we make and the way we laugh way too loud in class have always made me feel like I’ve known them since we were kids. 

Although friendship is technically unnecessary for survival; it’s one of those things that gives value to life, making surviving a lot easier. All we have is each other in this world, and rather than go through it alone we choose to surround ourselves with people we love, with memories and happiness, and to me that is beautiful. With all the people that come along in our lives, it is important to hold on tightly to the ones that stick and to not take those friendships for granted. ​​I believe that each friend represents a version of us that could not possibly exist until they arrive, and it’s only by this meeting that we’re able to rediscover ourselves and recognize the meaning of these connections.

Girls Night Dinner Party
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

So if you finish reading this and feel an appreciation for your friends, text them, grab lunch, or even just bask in the precious connections you have made with the people in your life. These relationships are some of the most important, so take the time to cherish them.

I will end off with a quote from one of my favourite childhood shows: “If you live to be 100, I want to live to be 100 minus one day so I never have to live without you” – Winnie the Pooh.

Emma Luong

Queen's U '25

A third-year Health Sci student at Queen's University who enjoys reading, making Spotify playlists, watching classic movies and cooking!