Career > Her20s

A Bittersweet Goodbye to My Teenage Years: Entering Your Twenties with Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

I’m turning 20 soon. For a while, the thought of turning 20 freaked me out because I still felt like a teenager, and I couldn’t fathom being an age that doesn’t end in -teen! When I I took a step back and really thought about turning 20 and what your 20s even mean, I felt a lot better. I can now confidently say that I spent enough time reflecting and getting confident in certain areas, so much so that I don’t feel like a teenager anymore. To me, there are a few things I think you should be comfortable with by 20. Having a good understanding of these things before turning 20 has helped me feel more at ease entering this next chapter of my life as a young adult.

Basic home economics

If you’re an able-bodied 20-year-old that doesn’t know how to do laundry or can’t cook a semi-healthy balanced meal, you’ve got some work to do! As a teenager, at least for myself, parents still cooked and did laundry for their children. But by 20, you’re likely in college or working full time. The first few months, or even years of this transition, are tough as you navigate how to live on your own, how to cook and clean for yourself, and so on. I think that by 20, you should be able to maintain a relatively clean living space, and be able to cook at least two different balanced meals—and no, buttered noodles don’t count! 

What to do in your free time

If there is one thing I learned in my later teenage years, it is that you can and should be picky about what you do in your free time. College students and full time employees give so much to their academic and non-academic careers. It is important that when you do have time off you use it wisely, because if you don’t use your down time to slow down and rest, you’re bound to burn out. Find not only what you enjoy doing in your time off but also what energizes you. Whether it be spending one-on-one time with a close friend, reading, or going for walks, learn what it is you enjoy doing that doesn’t completely exhaust you. Of course, spending time going out with your friends is super fun, but if your free time is all go go go, you’re likely going to experience burnout. 

What kind of people you want to be friends with

Find your people. I know it’s much easier said than done, but find friends who make you feel good when you’re with them and friends that you barely need a social battery for. I wasted time in high school staying in friendships that didn’t suit me (keep in mind, there’s nothing wrong with that—it taught me valuable lessons). I believe your 20’s are the time to do what’s best for you—you’re likely living semi- or mostly independently, so prioritize yourself and what’s right for you!

Now, I’m still super young and obviously have a lot more learning to do, so I’m not here to say that I have all the answers to life’s queries. Despite having more to learn, I feel like having these three areas somewhat figured out I feel a bit more comfortable entering this next stage of young adulthood. If you’re in your late teens or early 20s I highly recommend reflecting on how you take care of your basic needs, how you spend your time, and who you spend it with. I believe that your 20s are a time for trial and error, so keep trying until you find out what works for you!

Layla Artzy

Queen's U '25

I'm a 3rd-year student at Queen's University studying Politics. Some of my favourite things include vegan restaurants, coffee, self-care, the outdoors, and a good time with friends and family!