9 Ways to Fill an Empty Notebook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

There’s nothing quite like a fresh, crisp, blank notebook. If you’re anything like me, however, you have a stack of cute notebooks collecting dust in a drawer, because you’re afraid to ruin their perfectly unmarked pages. Not for long; here are some fun ways to plug into your creative outlet and put those notebooks to use!

1. Start practicing gratitude

A little bit of gratitude goes a long way! Each day, start a new page and write down a few things you are grateful for. After a few months, you can look back and see how your areas of gratitude have changed over time.

2. Record your dreams

If you’re lucky enough to remember your dreams for longer than a few fleeting moments, this one’s for you! As soon as you wake up, write down your dreams in as much detail as you possibly can – think all five senses. Soon enough, you’ll start to notice recurring themes and symbols. What are your dreams telling you?

3. Create art

You don’t have to be Picasso to create art! Whether you like to doodle meaningless squiggles or paint elaborate landscapes, each page of a notebook can be a new masterpiece. Try mixing different materials to make it uniquely your own. No matter what you create, art is the perfect stress reliever!

4. Lists, lists, lists

Have a growing list of Netflix shows you’ve been meaning to binge watch? Write them down! From grocery lists to bucket lists, notebooks are a great place to write down all the lists that would otherwise be taking up space in your head!

5. Get organized

If you’ve been procrastinating getting your life organized, this is a sign! Use a notebook to create a bullet journal that is completely your own. Improve your time management by customizing weekly and monthly spreads to your liking. Decorate with colourful pens and you’re all set!

6. Visitors log

Is your place the go-to hang out or party spot? Start a visitors log: have friends (or strangers) leave messages during their visits! Eventually, the pages will be filled with entries and memories from everyone who has visited your place!

7. Creative writing

Whether you’re in a lecture or at the gym, creative writing ideas can strike at any time! Keep a notebook in your bag to jot down plot lines or poetry verses on the spot. When you have time, look back through your notes, get imaginative and expand on your ideas. Who knows? You could be the next J.K. Rowling!

8. Make memories

From Polaroid photos to movie tickets to sticky notes, I always find myself keeping little knick knacks from everywhere I go and everything I do. If you do, too, stick them in a notebook and write little blurbs associated with each item. This way, you’ll be able to go back and reminisce on lots of special memories.

9. The classic journal

It’s safe to say that nearly everyone has written a journal entry at one point or another. Here’s another chance! Use a blank notebook to simply write about your day or how you’re feeling. There’s no better feeling than brain-dumping something that’s been on your mind or having amazing days you can look back on in the future.

I hope these ideas have inspired you to dust off those empty notebooks. Now grab a pen and dive in!