8 True Crime Podcasts for the Average True Crime Addict

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Is Dateline your go-to show? Did you yell at the screen while watching Making a Murderer? Then you probably like true crime! From walking to and from class to working out at the gym, these true crime podcasts are the best of my favourite genre. Not every podcast will appeal to everyone, so I’ve made sure to include descriptions to help you find the most fascinating ones. A warning: walking home at night alone is not a good time to listen to these – a mistake I make often!

My Favorite Murder

One of the most popular true crime podcasts, My Favorite Murder, is hosted by Karen Kilgraff and Georgia Hardstark. They are comedians who live in LA and perform live shows all over the world. Each host picks a case to explain on the weekly episodes and they also upload minisodes where stories sent from listeners of the podcast are read aloud. 

Good for people who: Want a lighthearted podcast with relatable hosts. The criminal cases aren’t perfectly researched, but Kilgraff and Hardstark make that clear from the get-go. The long episodes are great for people with long commutes or who listen to podcasts while working out. 

Not so great for people who: Want to cover very detailed cases and only want to hear about the case, since the hosts do have a habit of getting off-topic. 

True Crime Obsessed

This is one of the funniest podcasts and is often one of my pick-me-ups after a particularly bad day. The format follows two best friends, Patrick Hinds and Gillian Pensavalle, who watch true crime documentaries and comment on them. Their definition of “true crime” is refreshing because it involves any cases that break the law, not only murders or violent crime. Their chemistry is crazy and Patrick’s laugh is the best thing ever. 

Good for people who: Like funny and witty banter between two best friends. The hosts are pretty respectful and always try to give the victims justice. Cool sound bites are also included from the documentaries themselves, and a trailer for the next week’s documentary is available to watch before the episode drops. 

Not so great for people who: Just want the facts, want a consistent narrative or prefer more serious takes on cases. 

Small Town Dicks

This podcast is hosted by Yeardley Smith and Zibby Allen. Smith is the voice of Lisa Simpson, so if you have ever dreamt of hearing Lisa Simpson narrating intense true crime cases, you’ll love this podcast. The show’s premise is detectives from “Small Town, U.S.A” telling their cases. The detectives change names and relationships and don’t name locations to protect the identity of the victims. These cases are very intense because those details often end up being important. 

Good for people who: Like nitty-gritty crimes and the reality of police work. I always loved the Simpsons and, for some weird reason, I enjoy the narration in Lisa Simpson’s voice. If you like procedurals and police work, this should be your next podcast. 

Not so great for people who: Expect many updates on past cases or dislike dark crime cases. Every episode of Small Town Dicks follows a new case that is guaranteed to be intense and twisted, so some listeners may be triggered (and rightfully so). Also, if hearing Lisa Simpson’s voice is your nightmare, the podcast is definitely not for you.

Moms and Murder

Being from Florida, I do have a bias towards this podcast. These two moms, Mandy and Melissa, tell true crime stories in a lovable and sweet way. They not only give me my true crime fix but also remind me of my mom and good old Florida humour. Both hosts research a case before each episode and then add funny and relatable anecdotes to surely keep you entertained. 

Good for people who: Like dorky commentary with specific details. The hosts often put me at ease and have a very supportive vibe that I need after starting my essay at 3 a.m. the day it’s due. 

Not so great for people who: Want a serious podcast. The episodes are awesome but not serious at all. 

True Crime Story Time

The accents are amazing on this podcast. These two Australian women weave together the most informative stories. Better yet, they only cover Australian crime that we rarely hear about in North America. They also have a unique and awesome respect for victims. 

Good for people who: Like new crimes they probably won’t hear about from other countries. It’s also very interesting for understanding the Australian legal system. 

Not so great for people who: Want longer episodes or to learn about well-known cases. 

To Live and Die in LA

This podcast follows the story of the disappearance of Adea Shabani in February of 2018. Each detail of the case is narrated by reporter Neil Strauss, as he unravels the story by talking to many important players. It is very well done and illustrates how difficult solving a crime really is, as well as the many layers of people who are involved. 

Good for people who: Want to binge a podcast with all of the episodes already released. If you want to feel like Nancy Drew, you’ll enjoy To Live and Die in LA because it reveals mysterious clues to the listeners. Some of the clues lead to a dead-end, but you’ll have to listen until the end to know for sure.

Not so great for people who: Get bored following only one case or who don’t deal well with suspense.

13 Alibis

How can a man go to jail for a crime when he was located states away? Yeah, I have no idea either. But that is what New York City inmate Richard Rossario alleges. Dateline reporter, Dan Slepian, chronicles his search to see if Rossario is telling the truth by tracking down the 13 people who he claims can act as his alibi. It’s been 20 years, so it’s a hard search and a fascinating case. 

Good for people who: Want to understand how cases are investigated by the police force. Slepian delves into police misconduct in other cases during the search to see if Rossario is an innocent man or just a good liar. It’s a great podcast to binge too because all the episodes are currently released.

Not so great for people who: Want a short and sweet answer to whether Rossario is innocent or guilty. Many details are covered and the reporter takes a long time to make a point. If you don’t like Dateline narration, it’s best to avoid this podcast. 

Today in True Crime

This show is new and I have been enjoying the 15 to 20-minute episodes detailing crimes that occurred on one particular day in the past. It’s very well told and has introduced me to many new crimes. 

Good for people who: Want a short podcast they can listen to every day. 

Not so great for people who: Want a deep dive into a specific crime or killer. This podcast offers a summary or blurb on the cases, rather than a full investigation.

Amanda Neves

Queen's U '22

Amanda Neves is a second year student at Queen's University hoping to major in History or Politics that loves absurd amounts of chicken nuggets, traveling and any fluffy animals. Originally from the U.S and Brazil, she grew up in five different countries and is trilingual. She hopes to go to law school or grad school (or both!) after her undergrad.
HC Queen's U contributor